108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Altiris RDP builds with multiple Array controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pber
Advisor

Altiris RDP builds with multiple Array controllers

Is there a way to RDP build a server with multiple array controllers without the ACR erroring out with error 255.

Our work around was to disable the internal array controller (Or which ever controller had no drives tied to it). Recently we've been purchasing 6404 array controllers and they appear to show up as 2 array controllers. The bios allows us to disable one of the array controllers (essentially half of the 6404), but the ACR utility still sees it and errors out.

I would prefer to not have to disable the 6404 completely and build with the internal 5i controller. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Robert Hearn
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Altiris RDP builds with multiple Array controllers

If you configure the 6404 manually and then use ACR to capture the configuration, what happens? Does it still give an error?

Robert Hearn
www.deploymentguru.com
Pber
Advisor

If I configure the array manually and modify the build script to skip the hardware config it works fine. It just defeats the automated process, but it would seem this is my only alternative.

Thanks.

Robert Hearn
Frequent Advisor

Here might be the problem...

You need to modify your script so that it does the following:
- Run CONREP to modify BIOS and disable the array controller
- REBOOT (not go directly to ACR)
- Run ACR with your custom config

When you disable array controllers, sometimes the BIOS will not recognize the disablement untilk a reboot has occurred.

Robert Hearn
www.deploymentguru.com
Dirk Heider

How can I disable the Raid Controller with CONREP?

Dante deLeon

I perform scripted installs on servers configured w/an additional 640x SA by disabling the 5i & setting the boot controller to the 640x sa w/o configuring an array. I then run the appro scripted install to get the inital os build. After all configuration task reboots, the next time I reboot I enable the 5i & when Windows boots up, it will install/recognize the 5i & 640x & the image will contain both drivers.
Pber
Advisor

I placed a support call with HP and they confirm it is a problem if you use a 6404 array controller and you do not attach drives to each controller (since a 6404 is nothing more than two 6402's).
They offered 4 solutions:
1) Attach drives to the 2nd 6402 (not an option in my case)
2) Create a custom ACR (mldl-a.ini) file for the 6404. (once again not an option)
3) physically remove the 6400EM daughter board from the 6404 (making the card a 6402).
4) Changing the mldl-a-ini file and change the CONTROLLER setting to FIRST instead of ALL.

Option 4 works like a charm since it globally works with all our current builds and we do not need custom scripts.

Thanks for the help