1757090 Members
1964 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a hard disk to proliant 800

Steve Raine
Occasional Contributor

Adding a hard disk to proliant 800

Help! I almost wiped out the data on our server. I added a new SCSI disk which was identified in bios as unallocated and doesn't show up in windows. I went through the bios menus but slipped at one point and hit F3 twice instead of once. The result is that the server will now only start in some sort of interim mode after pressing F1. How do I add the disk to our system so that it is recognised by win2000?
4 REPLIES 4
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Adding a hard disk to proliant 800

Is this drive attached to an array controller?
Steve Raine
Occasional Contributor

Yes a 431 smart array controller. When I enter some menu options in the bios I am asked for a CD. I inherited the job of looking after this server and have no disks or manuals at all. The model is a proliant 800 500Mhz PIII 128MB ram 9GB Scsi disk. I am trying to add an 18GB scsi disk.

Thanks for the reply
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Ok, this might get a little confusing.

So the array controller only has a 9gb drive on it, are you were trying to add a 18gb... SO... the 9gb must be setup as a RAID 0 drive I assume.

When the server boots, what kind of error message do you get from the Array controller (the actual message would be wonderful). Does the server still boot?
Steve Raine
Occasional Contributor

I won't be able to reboot the server until Monday morning. But yes, the server still boots up after the error message (something like configuration files missing?) and pressing F1 to start interim recovery or something similar. When I entered the SCSI controllers setup at boot the new drive shows up as unallocated disk and I can't select it or anything.