1754253 Members
3520 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding additional processor

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Adding additional processor

This has happened to me twice now. When I add an additional processor to an existing single-processor system using the uptomp.exe from the NT Resource Kit, upon reboot the system either has a stop error saying I need to replace the hall.dll, or the ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing. Each time I've had to reinstall NT. The uptomp.exe utility asks for the location of the multiprocessor HAL DLL files and will only accept the I386 directory. I then choose to install the Compaq System Pro Multiprocessor or 100% compatible and it goes through fine. However, when it reboots it got the stop error on one system, and the ntfs.sys corrupt or missing error on another. I've also tried rerunning the service pack (6a) after the utility was finished but that didn't make a difference.
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

First prepare or check the service pack you are going to apply (presume SP6:-standard or 128bit encription). If you are not sure, apply the standard first which will decide if 128bit is required. Make sure you have the version download and ready.

Chose the "MPS multiprocessor" options from the pull down menu. After uptomp have completed updating, you select "do not reboot Windows"

Apply the service pack. If service pack prompts you to replace your SCSI drivers, select "No" (default yes).

After completing the SP you may reboot Windows.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Actually - there is something else to do...

Install the new processor(s) as noted in the manual for the system itself or that comes with the chips.

Then configure the server hardware to the correct the "APIC Mode" settings. You must start System Configuration and press 'CTRL a' at the first menu after selecting F10 during boot. This activates "Advanced Mode". Then enter System Configuration itself and follow the prompts to complete a basic configuration load. Select to "Review" the settings and then pick "View/Edit Details" from the menu. Look down the list to find "APIC Mode". Press enter on this selection and select "Full Table, Mapped" (or "Full Table" if only choice, depends on specific system). Once this has been done, exit and save changes.

The next step is to load the Multiprocessor HAL on NT. This is best accomplished with the latest Compaq NT SSD (for 3.51 or 4.0 specifically) as this utility will do a more reliable job of identifying the correct HAL for the system. Simply run SETUP.EXE from the SSD disk 1 and select the HAL upgrade (you may also install other drivers if desired, do NOT force all drivers to load as some may not work on your system).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

una vez ya instalado el segundo procesador en el servidor de producci?n se prosigue con lo siguiente:
a)Correr el ejecutable del service pack 4i386.exe que se encuentra dentro de el service pack,no lo instales solo correlo y te generara una carpeta en c:\temp esta carpeta que te genere copiala en otro directorio que tu generes como por ejemplo c:\pedrito\temp.Posteriormente cancela la instalacion y lleva cabo el segundo procedimiento.

b) corre el ntssd del smart-start y carga el hall recovery option y el multiprocesamiento que tambien se requiere.

Posteriormente te pedira la ruta del archivo el cual guardaste dale la ruta en donde guardaste los archivos cuando corriste el service pack.c:\pedrito\temp

Posteriormente bootea el equipo y reconocera los dos procesadores.

saludos y espero ayudarte con tu problema.