1757081 Members
2667 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding an Additional Drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Adding an Additional Drive

The server we have currently has three 18GB drives set up as one logical drive. The drama is that I need to add an additional 18GB drive to this array, and would like to know if it will require me to:
1 . Back up all existing data. Blow away the current array, add the drive, create a new logical volume, and then install/restore data.
or
2. Install the drive physically. Run the array configuration utilty through a Smart Start CD/ the Compaq bios, and be able to add the drive to the logical volume, then play with the added space in netware.
Any tips. Paths to TIDs. or references to manuls that can assist would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Scott.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding an Additional Drive

Scott,

I surprised no one has answered this for you yet. It's easy (if you've done it before). This assumption is that you have the drives in a RAID 5 set. slide the drive in, go into the Compaq Online Configuration Utility (cpqonlin.nlm), go to array configuration utility and then select the appropriate array controller (if more than one). From this point on I'm kind of guessing because I don't have any new drives to add to my array. I think the drive will show up as not assigned or something like that. You go to the array and add the drive that isn't assigned to anything. It creates a logical drive 2. Before you do this, do this at night and set the expand priority to medium or high, it goes quicker. Just remember to set it back to low when you are done. I don't know if this setting works on the fly or not. Once your drive is added you go to nwconfig and then standard disk options and scan for new devices. Then modify disk partitions (if standard partition type), go to disk 2, and then create a NetWare partition. Then go into your volumes and add the empty space to an existing volume if that is what you want to do.

Dan.