1754112 Members
3543 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPN Fan speed control?

Eric_371
Occasional Advisor

CPN Fan speed control?

Do you know where to setup the fan speed with ML350? the problem: When i use my server, the fan of my CPU speed-up... with the main fan!

How to stop this?
11 REPLIES 11
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

What operating system? Normally the system management type drivers will slow down the fan when they load... (i think)
Eric_371
Occasional Advisor

I Use Windows 2003 Server, and when i load the CPU, all fan start to speed-up!! how to desable this option and make the fan to run at a normal speed and not to run slowly about 3sec and run at high speed for 1min and return to normal speed after the CPU Process return to normal.

Why my fan speed is variable speed?
Jeff Wilkins
Valued Contributor

Not familiar with the ML350, but usually you can turn off the variable fan speed control in the bios. I had to do this on a NAS.
jfwilkins@hotmail.com
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If the fan in this server is cycling (reving up and down), then there is likely a hardware problem.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Eric,

As suggested earlier, if the fan speed is fast, then slow, then fast again you probably have a hardware error. If this is a ML350 G4 model then I am almost certain that the CPU heatsink and fan assembly will be the cause. Unlike other heatsink/fan assemblies the fan is fitted on one side of the heatsink (not on top).

The heatsink/fan assembly can be fitted the wrong way round and cause the CPU's to overheat becasue they don't draw cold air across them from the front of the chassis. (This only affects ML350 G4 models)

Make sure that the fan is facing the media bay side of the chassis (Disks and tapes side). If the fan is on the memory dimm side then it is wrong.

If incorrectly fitted then get HP to replace it. The correct spare part number for the ML350 G4 heatsink/fan assembly is 366866-001.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Eric_371
Occasional Advisor

I Check for the fan position and everything is fine! i update the bios to the last revision and now i have a Power Control for CPU, i try to deasable this featur but i always get the same problem (fan with variable speed VS CPU usage!)

This featur is not OS dependent, because in the bios if i make a memory test, the CPU FAN and the big fan at the rear of the server make speed-up!

I realy thing this is not hardware problem but only configuration parameters...!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please try to do this

Solution :

replace the processor heatsink using Spare Part Number 366866-001

And

update the Latest PSP

Regards,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is the fan speed going up and down? Or does the fan speed seem to go up all the time until the next reboot?

The only kind of configuration settings HP has for anything like this is to have the fans run at full speed all the time (I'm not sure this is an option in this server).

The server overheating could be a cause of this problem, but this would be a hardware problem (probably heatsink/fan assembly)
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Eric_371
Occasional Advisor

The fan is going up and down ...all the time!

Exemple:
I dont run any application:
CPU is about 5% = fan slow down

I run Application:
CPU up to 50% = the fan is going faster!

I finish using application:
CPU return to 5% = the fan slow down again.

Everytime the CPU is going up.. the fan is going up too... if the CPU is going down the fan is going do too...

I dont thing this is a problem for a "replacement fan" but a problem with configuration or heat sensor...

What do you thing about this?