108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can't update BIOS or iLO on DL380p G8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peeyotch
Visitor

Can't update BIOS or iLO on DL380p G8

I have a DL380p G8 that is exhibiting signs of NAND corruption ("AHS Data is unavailable due to a file system issue" in iLO). I would like to try to fix it, but the iLO firmware is all the way back at version 1.22! I tried updating everything using the final Gen 8.1 SPP, but both the iLO firmware update and the BIOS update failed.

I tried separately updating the iLO firmware through the web interface. Every version I tried resulted in the dreaded "Checking HP Secure Digital Signature" message and the flash process being stuck at 1% until I physically pulled the power cables from the server. This even happened with the next version available in the history, 1.30.

I also tried separately updating the BIOS using a ROMpaq USB key, and that failed with an unknown error.

I've reset iLO to defaults, used the Erase utility from Intelligent Provisioning, and even set switch #6 on the motherboard, all with no change in the results.

Is there anything else I should try? Is this motherboard just hosed?

3 REPLIES 3
AmRa
HPE Pro

Hi

To upgrade BIOS and iLO 5 Firmware to latest revision please follow below method.

NOTE: We have provided windows link for System ROM and iLO 4 firmware, so that you can update these component firmware through iLO web console.

i. Type: BIOS (Entitlement Required) - System ROM
Version: 2019.05.24(12 Jun 2019)

Installation:
To update System ROM BIOS Firmware through iLO Web UI:
1. Download cp040096.exe (2.3 MB) from below link.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_1bdec773834044b6825d2ff850#tab1

2. Run cp040096.exe and select extract option.
3. Once cp040096.exe file extracted, copy cp040096 folder and place in system from where iLO is accessible.
4. Using a Web Browser, proceed to the iLO Web UI using the iLO IP Address.
5. Navigate to “Firmware” option.
6. Choose “Select Update Firmware”.
7. Select Browse at Local Binary File.
8. Select the Firmware file (CPQP7013.6B8) to be flashed.
9. Select the Flash to begin update process and wait for the firmware flash complete message to display.
10. Reboot the system.

ii. Type: Firmware - Lights-Out Management
Version: 2.73(13 Feb 2020)

Installation:
To update iLO 4 Firmware through iLO Web UI:
1. Download cp042664.exe (13 MB) from below link.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_025846b2035b42f7b85512741b#tab1

2. Run cp042664.exe and select extract option.
3. Once cp042664.exe file extracted, copy cp042664 folder and place in system from where iLO is accessible.
4. Using a Web Browser, proceed to the iLO Web UI using the iLO IP Address.
5. Navigate to “Firmware” option.
6. Choose “Select Update Firmware”.
7. Select Browse at Local Binary File.
8. Select the Firmware file (ilo4_273.bin) to be flashed.
9. Select the Flash to begin update process and wait for the firmware flash complete message to display.
10. Reboot the system.

Once the firmware upgraded, follow the resolution selection of below customer advisory.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c04996097

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Peeyotch
Visitor

The BIOS update failed immediately with the message:

The last firmware update attempt was not successful. Ready for the next update.​

My understanding is that the ability to update the BIOS through iLO didn't come until version 1.3:

This version adds support for the following features and enhancements:

System ROM, Chassis Manager, CPLD, and Power Management Controller firmware can be updated in the iLO web interface and via RIBCL scripts.​

Remember that I am still stuck on version 1.22.

The iLO update did the same thing as every other iLO update I've tried. The system is sitting at "Checking HP Secure Digital Signature, please wait..." with the progress display in the footer saying "Firmware Flash Process: 1%". I will have to pull power to reset iLO.

Peeyotch
Visitor
Solution

FYI I was finally able to force an iLO update using the direct flash procedure outlined at https://community.hpe.com/t5/server-management-remote-server/1500-ilo-4-configuration-is-temporarily-unavailable-5/m-p/6845116/highlight/true#M7740

Once that worked, I was able to update the BIOS through iLO without incident. Still not sure if the system board is good or not, but at least I have the proper platform to figure it out now.