4140 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannot provide my core installation with drivers

StefanoFereri
Advisor

Cannot provide my core installation with drivers

Hi community,

I'm trying to provision a Server 2012 R2 core with drivers from latest SPP. The server is ML150 Gen9. Since the OS has not yet a NIC driver the only way seems to be to use virtual media and attach a folder, which contains the baseline for the system. But I'm not able to reach my goal. Launching "hpsum /silent" from that mapped folder (it's drive D: in the server) gives, after 10 minutes of working , an error message: The storage is writeprotected (something like this). I tried copying the baseline folder from remote workstation to the server, but since ILO over a shared port is extremely slow this is not an option - after 30 minutes of copying I stopped that.

Of course the usual way of provisioning a system with drivers via HPSUM-GUI does not work on a core system, theres no browser. Using "Intellignet Provisioning" (pressing F10 at boot) does not fit neither, because it does not allow for sizing the OS partition to a reasonable size (minimum size IP allows is about 160GB!).

How can a core system be equipped with drivers?

Thanks for a hint, 

Stefano

7 REPLIES 7
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Cannot provide my core installation with drivers

Hi,

Good Question, "How can a core system be equipped with drivers?"

I have not tried this myself, but here are some resources which can help you.

http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2010/02/cheatsheet-how-to-install-hp-support-pack-on-a-server-core-installation-3/

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03305495

Page#12, "Access the system as a remote host using HP SUM, where HP SUM is running on a system with a supported Windows OS."

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

>> Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

>> Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

StefanoFereri
Advisor

Hi,

thanks for your contribution.

Finally it worked. Yes, there was a guide out in the web. But the problem was that the process of provisioning with HPSUM is that strange to me that my brain did not allow me to do exactly what I read. But you have to. So I mapped my SPP-ISO via ILO. After doing this I had a new drive D: on my autistic 2012 R2 core server. Then you have to change to that drive within command line (it's a core, so there is no explorer) and launch HPSUM. The commands I had to type in where exactly like this:

1. launch_hpsum add /baselines d:\hp\swpackages
2. launch_hpsum add /nodes localhost
3. launch_hpsum inventory /nodes localhost /baselines d:\hp\swpackages
4. launch_hpsum deploy /nodes localhost

Remember: I could not do this remote, I had to do it on the server itself, because there is no network connection - besides ILO - before you install firmware and drivers.

All these steps took some time, but then there is a network connection and all other devices where recognized by OS.

The wording and the steps I expect from a process like this are:

1. Ask User what system has to be patched (call it "add target system", not "node")
2. Create "driver and firmware base" (what is a "baseline")
3. Patch the system or install drivers (not "deploy")

Other information gathered from the user usually is, where the source files are located - if not default - and where driver/firmware base should be stored for later use or similar systems. The way HP does it is so strange to me that I simply refused to believe it could work. :-)

Thanks again,
Stefano

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

StefanoFereri wrote:

Remember: I could not do this remote, I had to do it on the server itself, because there is no network connection - besides ILO - before you install firmware and drivers.

Glad you got it all working. Did you try using the Remote Console feature of iLO? It does require an advanced liense. You can download a trial license to test the advanced features. http://www.hp.com/go/ilo click on the download trial button

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
StefanoFereri
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

I did all that via Remote Console of ILO. I already have an evaluation license. But wasn't it the virtual media feature that needs a license? Remote Control should be available without any extra fee, otherwise ILO would barely, wouldn't it?

Thanks and regards,

Stefano

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

StefanoFereri wrote:

Hi Jimmy,

I did all that via Remote Console of ILO. I already have an evaluation license. But wasn't it the virtual media feature that needs a license? Remote Control should be available without any extra fee, otherwise ILO would barely, wouldn't it?

Thanks and regards,

Stefano

Remote Console is a feature that requires the advanced license (except blade servers). 

StefanoFereri
Advisor

Just found a document that says remote console without advanced license is only "pre os". 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@StefanoFereri wrote:

Just found a document that says remote console without advanced license is only "pre os". 

Correct, Remote Console will work during POST without the advanced license