1756702 Members
2729 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Configuring "NIC Adapter Teaming" using Cisco FEC

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Configuring "NIC Adapter Teaming" using Cisco FEC

I'm looking for documentation on configuring "NIC Adapter Teaming" using Cisco Fast Etherchannel. I have the Cisco docs, but I need the following:

1) Step-by-step instructions on how to configure the NICs in the 5500.

2) Since I have a dual-port NIC as well as a single port NIC in the 5500, I need to know if I can do FEC on all three NICs or just the 2 ports on the 2-port NIC.

3) I also need to know how to configure the FEC on the Cisco switch: Do I use "source-based forwarding" or do I use "destination-based forwarding"?

So if anyone can point me to a document on how to do this, I would be very grateful!

Unfortunately I don't have access to the 5500 system for testing and planning purposes since it is in production. So, I need to get this right the first time and I want to read as much as I can to cover all contingencies.

TIA,

JS
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Configuring "NIC Adapter Teaming" using Cisco FEC

To configure teaming in NT4.0, download and install the SP13944.EXE drivers.

Through Control Panel (Compaq Network Icon) Select the NIC's you want to Team, and Click Team, from there you can choose the Radio Button that Says "Load Balancing" and then select Cisco Fast EtherChannel.
Select Okay, and the set IP address for Team.

On the Switch you want to use "Source Based" Forwarding.
Reason why is the Source address of the frames will be many depending on the clients/servers that are trying to communicate with the team
The Destination in the Frame will always be the same Layer 2 address of the Teamed NIC's.
I don't have any docs, but have done it a hundred times.

On the switch is it "set port channel 4/1-2"
example is to set ports 1 and 2 on module 4 in a port channel.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Good information - Thanks again Mark.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all for your help. This is exactly the information I need!!!