1935 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G6 - Installation of ESX 4 fails

KFKGmbH
Advisor

DL360 G6 - Installation of ESX 4 fails

Hello.
We have two new DL360 G6, and on both these servers the installation of ESX v4 fails with the message "CD-ROM Missing - Insert the ESX Installation media.". The installations of ESXi v4 and ESX v3.5 are running. The same installation media runs on a DL380 G6. I tried different manufacturers of DVD+R media, always the same problem. BIOS and firmware are the most recent ones. Unfortunately we do not have iLO2 Advanced, so I cannot test virtual media.
The error message appears after clicking "Next" on the "Summary of installation settings" screen when choosing "Standard setup", when choosing "Advanced setup", then the message appears earlier, after clicking "Next" on the screen "Specify a datastore for ESX".
Any suggestions?
Thank you very much.
Thorsten
5 REPLIES 5
Kari Papinsaari

Hi
I have a same problem with HP Proliant ML 370 G6 with new firmware installed. Any idea for that.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you don't have Advaced pack installed, you could use trial version, and after installation its doesn't matter.

secod option is to create USB bootable esx installation medium.

mikap
Kari Papinsaari

Hi I booted esx from IDE DVD drive , which was installed to usb and it works. It seems to be problem in the sata DVD. ESX mount doesn't work.
KFKGmbH
Advisor

Thanks for your replys.

Installing esx via usb is possible, but if one of this servers has to be /re)installed in a year or two, it should be possible to install it as usual via the internal dvd-drive. I dont know if anybody else has to install the server in the future, so this should work as expected.

The second problem is that the drive cannot be used for virtual machines. Yes, I know I can use ISO-files or the client drive, but the host drive should do it too.

Its vmware certified hardware, so anybody should know how to fix this problem???

Best regards

Thorsten
Joel Russell

I am actually getting the same message when attempting to install from usb on a dl380 g4. It seems after each try I get further into the installation process before I see the message appear.