3514 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G5 Riser Bus Unresponsive

ZacharyPepper
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G5 Riser Bus Unresponsive

Good morning,

This is my first time posting to the forums, so I apologize if I miss any necessary information, but here it goes:

We have a ProLiant DL380 G5 server that is being used to host all of our backups. The need recently came about, to install a second drive array to the system, which menat making use of another PCIe slot on our riser card, however, upon installing any cards into the PCIe x8 slots, the devices aren't recognized by the computer.

When the computer reaches POST, we see the previously installed cards, which I will list below:

-PCIe x4 Slot 1 : HP P400 Controller

-PCIe x4 Slot 2 : Silicon Image SiI 3132 eSATA card

-PCIe x4 (Riser Card) Slot 3 : Silicon Image SiI 3132 eSATA card

The card that we're trying to install is another Silicon Image SiI 3132 eSATA card, and the two remaining PCIe x8 slots on the riser card seem unresponsive. We've tested putting different cards into the slots, but with no luck. We've even placed the card that we've been trying to install into one of the x4 slots, and it works there, just not in the x8 slot. Is there something that anyone can think of that we're missing?

If any additional info is needed, please let me know, and thanks for your time!

“If you can't say somethin’ nice.... Don't say nothin’ at all.” -Thumper
(This space intentionally left blank.)
3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G5 Riser Bus Unresponsive

Hi,

Did you try any known good x8 cards in those slots?

What I guess is either the x8 slots are bad or SiI3132 does not support x8 bus width.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ZacharyPepper
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the response. We actually did try other cards in the x8 slots, and they didn't work either. We swapped out the riser card entirely, and the issue still arose. My guess is that this has to do with the bus controller, but I'm not sure. We're not in a position to go around futzing with our server too much, so as a stopgap solution, we're attaching the new array to an old HP xw4600, considering that we don't need much processing power.

I'll keep looking into the original issue, and update if I find anything else, in case anyone else has this problem in the future.

“If you can't say somethin’ nice.... Don't say nothin’ at all.” -Thumper
(This space intentionally left blank.)
mcfly5
Occasional Advisor

there are two risers for that machine. 408788-001 is pci-e/pci-x 408786-001 is just pci-e if that helps any, didn't have time to look into the specs, but something to start with, good luck