ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755843 Members
5086 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G6 powers off when kernel boots

Janzen Brewer

DL380 G6 powers off when kernel boots

I'm working on a DL380 G6. I installed RHEL 5 on it a week or so ago without trouble. Now the system is unusable. It seems to get through POST fine, but as soon as anything past that tries to boot, the system clicks off nearly immediately. I've tried to boot (1) RHEL 5.5 from the onboard smart array controller, (2) a Fedora 11 live CD, and (3) a RHEL 5 installation CD.

None of the systems insight display LEDs show an error. The only one with any activity during the entire process is a network port. After the poweroff, the system health LED is red.

Ideas? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i would start wtith the offline diagnostic from smartstartcd, and if the HW is ok, i would start the trobleshooting on the OS level.

PS : did you inetalled the latest PSP for Prolaints ?

mikap
Janzen Brewer

I booted into SmartStart 8.4 x64 and tried to start Insight Diagnostics. However, when I clicked it, the web browser gave me an Unable to Connect to 127.0.0.1:2381. I tried the ACU and I was able to use it.

I'm going to look for BIOS updates.

I haven't tried any PSP updates. We're a pretty mixed vendor shop, so we don't generally mess with HP's stuff like that. It's too vendor specific.
Janzen Brewer

Just found a workaround. Turns out passing the kernel "acpi=off" solved the problem.
Janzen Brewer

Closed. See previous post for workaround.