1757310 Members
3924 Online
108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 configuration --Dig a little further

scott_417
Frequent Advisor

DL380 configuration --Dig a little further

Still take DL380 as example, if I put Disks 1 and 2 in an Array and implement the RAID 1 on it. Suppose the OS is Linux.

1) If I did this configuration using the ACU, where is the configured information stored, in a Flash Memory (or programmable memory) or some files? If so, what kind of files?

2) When I created a logic drive for an Array and did the partisons for the drive, etc., where does the configured information be stored? If in files, what kind of files?

Thanks to help.

Scott
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 configuration --Dig a little further

Scott:

1. RAID Controller Configuration is stored mainly on the Hard Drives in a part of the disk that is not accessible through the OS. Ever wonder why when you format a 72GB drive, you only get 68GB?

The config is also stored on the controller (I think), but is usually overwritten based on the drives that are connected.

2. Same answer. In the "Metadata" portion of the disk.

Again, this area is not accessible via the OS so there isn't anything for you to "see" technically.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 configuration --Dig a little further

Hi,

Yes RAIS Information is always stored in SA Thumb rule. Even i can remove the same disk from server1 and put on identical server server without any issues it will work.

REgards,
PRashant S.
Nothing is impossible