108759 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380p Gen8 (P420i) exit out of HBA mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
SD2016
Occasional Contributor

DL380p Gen8 (P420i) exit out of HBA mode

Hi there, we have been given a Gen8 DL380p to see if we can expand storage and install a windows o/s onto. The system is fully functional, HP drives are blank and everything tests OK using the bootable utilities ACU SSA V9.40 and Smart Start v8.70 from USB. The P420i is in HBA mode already from a previous role. We need to exit HBA mode and return to non HBA mode (guessing the default is RAID mode).

We have scoured the interweb for solutions - all of which go 'into' HBA mode, but none how to exit out of HBA.

[edit] The P420i firmware is v6.68. DL380p BIOS is P70.

Using the HPE Smart Storage Administrator (USER GUIDE) we have tried the SSA CLI references but 'hbamode' is not recognised in the ACU CLI interface. The GUI's do not show any array/controller configuration options (as per the manual) when accessed via either IP (F10) or the bootable USB SSA utilities.

We don't have access to the SPP and am unsure if there are any license keys associated with the unit. Hoping an LK was not used to get into HBA mode.

Is it possible to exit HBA mode and how?

Many thanks. Sam.

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DL380p Gen8 (P420i) exit out of HBA mode

Forget smart start and similar, this is much too old.

Use Intelligent provisioning (press F10 or F8 when the controller message appears in POST) and you will find something like this:

Cancel HBA mode.png

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SD2016
Occasional Contributor

Hi Torsten, thanks for replying. Unfortunately I don't get these same options from IP - SSA. The config from IP (using F10) looks like this for me .. (won't allow jpg attached). I don't get any HBA mode cancel option from the same screen. (wish I did).

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

I think it depends on what version of firmware is on the controller.  HBA mode wasn't officially supported on this generation of controllers in Proliant.  When Gen9 stated shipping, the older controllers inherited this feature.

I did run a test this morining on a P420. Originally the controller had version 3.xx firmware and HBA mode wasn't an option. I updated to version 8.00 of the firmware and now in both HPSSA graphical interface and hpssacli command line I can enable / disable hba mode.  I'm not sure when the option was added into firmware to select HBA mode. This controller on a different platform used hba mode, but it wasn't user selectable.  I have seen a few ProLiant systems where the controller got currupted and put into hba mode and there wasn't a tool available at the time to change it.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
SD2016
Occasional Contributor

OK, after waiting 3 days for the SPP to download at 9600baud the solution is in the driver. There were several ways to resolve this using the SPP but firmware update from 6.68 to 8.00 provided the HBA/Raid switch option. Now fixed and P420i is configurable. Quell surprise ... the firmware says the genuine HP SAS drives are not genuine. This process explains a lot about the share price. Thanks for your help.