1754286 Members
3064 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL560 CPU Pricing?

Jason Williams_8
Contributor

DL560 CPU Pricing?

I have a question...I have a ProLiant DL560 running 2 Xeon 2.0 CPUs. I need to add additional processors. Doing a search of HP's parts, they show a price of $2342.00 for one of these. Is that right? What do I get for spending that much money? I have found 2.0 Xeons on other websites for a few hundred? How does HP charge a few THOUSAND for one CPU?

Any thoughts? Do I need to purchase this through HP? Can I buy a CPU from a 3rd party such as CDW?

Thanks for the input.
4 REPLIES 4
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Jason:

There is a vast diference between the P4 2.0 Ghz processor you can buy for your workstation (with 512K cache) and the 2.0GHz Xeon for the server. Part of that will have to do with the amount of cache the chip has.

You need to look up the part number you need... 1MB or 2MB cache.

Intel X2.0GHz 1MB DL560 Processor (Option Part Number: 331002-B21) -- $1,500.00

Intel X2.0GHz MP 2MB DL560 Processor (Option Part Number: 270765-B21) -- $5,700.00

depending on your vendor
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Jason Williams_8
Contributor

I believe that ours is the 2.0 w/1MB cache. The replacement part number on one of the existing CPUs is 327839-001 which runs at $2342.

So this price is correct? Wow, I could buy a new server for the price of 2 processors.

Thanks.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

The part number you list is a "Spare Part Number" ... try having your vendor order it as an "Option Part Number" as I listed above. There could be a big price diference.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Jason Williams_8
Contributor

That number you list is marked as unavailable on the parts order page. I will have to check with the "powers that be" if we have an account manager that I can contact.

Thank you for your help.