ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1756039 Members
4386 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL585 G6 Issues with SQL Server 2008 Standard

BladesMadeSimple

DL585 G6 Issues with SQL Server 2008 Standard

Has anyone experienced issues running DL585 G6 (with 4 x 6 core AMD 8400 CPUs) with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard? I have a customer who's experiencing issues and I'd like to know if anyone else is having problems. Primary issue is with indexing.

Any feedback you have would be helpful.
5 REPLIES 5
ClarendonIT

Yes we have purchased the same model server and running SQL Server 2008 R2 and are experiencing performance issues.

Have you have any luck getting to the bottom of these issues?

I will be contacting HP to find out is there are any know issues.
u.walden

We have the same problem with DL585 G6 (with 4 x 6 core AMD) with windows server 2003 x64 Enterprise and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard. I have updatet the complete firmware from the DL585, but the speed from SQL is small. Now we are installed SQL 2005 and speed is good!
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Clarendon,
Did you get any response from HP.

I think, I would like to perform following steps to troubleshoot this issue:
1. Update the firmware of Smart Array controller
2. Ensure that I have allocated more than 75% cache of Smart Array controller to write operations
3. Upgrade the cache if possible
4. Apply the normal SQL Server 2008 performance diagnosis to find out service time and wait time of requests

HP has addressed some non responsive issue for this server in following article, which recommends to upgrade firmware of controller:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01888856тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=3949980&prodTypeId=15351

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

BladesMadeSimple

We have resolved this issue.

Power Regulator for Proliant, Ultra Low Power State & Memory Channel Mode.
These three settings made the servers 50% faster in doing smaller database functions like queries, insert etc.
Even after the network reconfigure from the other night Bill had an AX job that recalculated BOM values, the job took 32 minutes before and 16 after.
The biggest one was Power Regulator for Proliant, dropped the job from 32 to 19.

Reportedly HP has a White Paper on configuring the G6 Servers in Low Latency database applications (but I don't have the link to it.)
BladesMadeSimple

We have resolved this issue.

Power Regulator for Proliant, Ultra Low Power State & Memory Channel Mode.
These three settings made the servers 50% faster in doing smaller database functions like queries, insert etc.
Even after the network reconfigure from the other night Bill had an AX job that recalculated BOM values, the job took 32 minutes before and 16 after.
The biggest one was Power Regulator for Proliant, dropped the job from 32 to 19.

Reportedly HP has a White Paper on configuring the G6 Servers in Low Latency database applications (but I don't have the link to it.)