SOLVED
Go to solution
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Excessive Failed Hard Drives

cnb
Honored Contributor

You have mixed drive types in a RAID5 volume. Normally not a big issue but you're having problems logged on all drives in this volume, so you'll need to eliminate some possible causes.

One drive needs firmware upgraded from HPD6 to HPDA or replaced with the same drive model number as the rest of the RAID5 volume.

There is an advisory of false errors being reported with Online Diagnositcs whereas ACU/ADU do not report any failures:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01697688тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1121474&prodTypeId=15351

IMHO I would swap out the DG146BAAJB HPD6 with another DG0146BARTP HPD0. Update the Windows Drivers, Online Diagnostics and ACU to the latest versions. Flash your P800 to 7.14. Make sure all drives are at the current firmware versions and monitor.

Windows 2008 Drivers:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121474&prodNameId=3279719&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-3336546bdc6842ca816e97d887

Update the Support Pack to version 8.30 and then update ACU & ACUCLI to 8.40. Update the Online Diags to 8.4:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279719&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121474&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4022

Rgds,

cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi,

One other thought is to swap or fail the HPD6 drive with your hot spare at 4I:16 which is already up to date and the same part/model number as the other RAID5 members:

Rgds,

Rancher
Honored Contributor

I will try all your suggestions as soon as our maintenance window comes up. Thank you all for the help. BTW, I had another drive fail this week in one of my Raid 6 arrays.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID6 failure...

You need someone to take a look at that configuration/diag report? Post it and I'll look at it if you need it.

Best Regards,

cnb
Mark Whalberg
Solution

Having this same problem across hundreds of drives. I support many MSA 70's which contain hundreds of other Drive Models.

After many months of working on it, escalation to HP's highest engineeers, analysis of 800megs of ADU logs, it appears that this production line run of drives is faulty. Manufacturing is out of specification for the SMART system. So it fails.

Model#DG0146BARTP, Part#518006-001, Made in the Phillipines, Production dates of 6-2009 to Nov\Dec 2009.
Firmware HPD0
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

Mark,

GOOD Information. Would you have the Product number or SP number?

I'd like to be proactive...

Thanks,

Louis
Bleeder
Frequent Advisor

Those are 10K drives, I think. Whew, thank goodness we only buy 15k's! But I know a few people that have these, so I'm forwarding on.

Thank you for posting the info!
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Mark, That is indeed the drive! What was the resolution? Did they ever post an advisory with what action to take?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Bleeder, We normally buy 15K as well but it was not available on this particular drive at the time.