108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nemm's
Occasional Advisor

Firmware update

I have a DL380 G4 with 4 discs in a raid 5 config. Had a drive die right in front of Xmas. Replaced it and all seemed fine. Now one of the original hard drives LED's do not display--whereas I am 99.9% sure that the LED's were lit previously. Array Config shows that all drives are fine. LED's on the drive in question all blink when I select it from within the AC. However the drive with no LED's is also set as a "spare"--which shouldn't be since the new drive I inserted should be the "spare". The hard drive with no LED's does need a firmware update--currently HPB1. HP's site tells me I need a firmware and maintenance cd to get the HPB5 firware. Two questions...1) Is the firmware issue why the LED's might not be lit? 2)WHERE do I find the firmware/maintenace CD. HP's site isn't real clear on this. Thanks for any info and Happy New Year to all!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Firmware update

1) Is the firmware issue why the LED's might not be lit?

If the disk is spare, the LED is off.

From BSC select your server and download the firmware maintenance DVD.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
TarunJain
Respected Contributor
Solution

1st This question should be placed in Proliant Server Forum
Now to the answeres:
1. If a drive is seen by Array Configuration as Spare then it's LED would not Glow
2. You can download firmware from software & driver download page.
i. Select HP Support on HP.com or go to http://hp.com/go/support
ii. Select Download drivers & software radio button & enter the model of server (DL380 G4) in Product name
iii. Select any Windows OS
iv. Select "Firmware - DVD"
v. Click on the download button in front of the Firmware DVD

You can also download the DVD by brosing to this link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&prodNameId=3288132&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-3380ae888f86436aac54c149eb

Hope this will help.
Please assign points to keep me motivated
Regards,
Tarun

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

Nemm's
Occasional Advisor

Torsten, Thanks for the info. Was confused for a moment by what BSC meant. Ended up googling for the Firmware Maintenance DVD as it wasn't real clear where this link was in the list provided by HP on the BSC. Then had to go back to ver 8.3 to find one that had my server listed. Downloading now. I may also need a caffeine update for not noticing that the "spare" hard drive does not display LED's. I am still unsure why my new drive wasn't designated as the spare. If you can clarify that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for your info.
Nemm's
Occasional Advisor

TarunJain, thank you for the info. Sounds like what I was just told. Still curious why that drive was designated as the "spare". In my other servers (granted a few years older), the new drive became the "spare". Is it time for me to be eating tapioca?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

BSC: http://www.hp.com/go/bsc

then select drivers&software ...

What disk drive model do you have?

Use usually can use the current firmware DVD and (if not included), copy it to USB thumb drive (with the utility on this DVD) and add the firmware component.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Nemm's
Occasional Advisor

Drives are 73 GB Ultra 320 SCSI's. Got the iso downloaded and burned. Since the server is my production SQL server, I'll have to wait til after business hours to do this. BTW..if something goes awry, is there a way to reverse the updates?

Thanks again!
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Drives are 73 GB Ultra 320 SCSI's

No,no,no - you need the exact model, something like BD03655B28 (it is FC) or DF012345678, etc ...

Different models, different firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Nemm's
Occasional Advisor

Ahh....I have three different models. The drive in question is BF07287B55. I have two that are BF072863B6 (HPB4) and one that is BF0728A4CB (HPB5). All true Compac drives. Will the firmware cd automatically update the hard drive's firmware correctly, or will this be a pick and choose?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you select the interactive mode, it will match firmware and device and let you decide to update or not.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.