cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards in Proliants

DjOracles
Occasional Visitor

Graphics Cards in Proliants

A lot of noise on this topic but I'm really struggling to get some results. I want to put in Nvidia Cuda core-enabled DirectX 11 cards into 1U servers. HP have informed me through a support engineer that they don't support or recommend any cards. Does anyone have any Nvidia cards working in their 1U Proliant G5, G6, or G7 servers?
3 REPLIES
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: Graphics Cards in Proliants

I would say no. 1U and HP servers are not designed for highend graphics cards. You can cool the video card properly. The power supplies would not support it. I have seen low end PCI video cards work. You need 26A @ 12V for most Nvidia cards. HP power supplies on 1U are usually 400W total.

Why not build a dedicated workstation for your project? It can run server hardware like Xeons, Supermicro server board or IBM Workstation. You can get rack mount chassis with 1000W power supplies.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe they want to use the graphics card GPU for computing purposes or something that the GPU is better at than the CPU.

DjOracles: Have you looked into the xw-blades that fit in the c7000? Or are the 1U a requirement? Last time I checked they supported nvidia cards, unsure what types though.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

ProLiant SL scalable systems provide a high-density solution for 1 or more GPU processors:

http://www.hp.com/go/proliant --> ProLiant SL --> HP ProLiant SL6500 Scalable System ...and check out the SL390s G7