1937 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant DL380 G6 with HP 1.28TB Multi Level Cell PCIe ioDrive Duo

pezzotto
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant DL380 G6 with HP 1.28TB Multi Level Cell PCIe ioDrive Duo

Hello guys,

I've buyed an HP 1.28TB Multi Level Cell PCIe ioDrive Duo for my Proliant DL 380 G6.

This board absorb 25W from the PCI-E bus, but require an external power to reach the best performace (it will never exceed 55W anyway).

Unfortunately, I've not found any cable into the package so I discovered that I can force the driver to absorb the required power via the PCI-E bus, using the FIO_EXTERNAL_POWER_OVERRIDE parameter.

From the server specs I see that the mainboard PCI-E x16 riser slots can provide up to 75W each. My server is equipped with the standard x16 riser card that have 2x PCI-E x4 and 1x PCI-E x8 slots. The board is connected to the x8 slot, while the other slots is empty.

The question is: can the x8 slot provide more than 25W ?

Thank you for your attention,

Pasquale

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G6 with HP 1.28TB Multi Level Cell PCIe ioDrive Duo

Hi,

We had a similar issue on one of our G7 servers and we used this switch on a x8 slot and it was able to supply that power.  But i am not sure of G6 system board.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

pezzotto
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP Proliant DL380 G6 with HP 1.28TB Multi Level Cell PCIe ioDrive Duo

Hello Suman,

Thank you  for your reply! Please see here, seems that the slot doesn't support the requested power:

~ # fio-pci-check

Root Bridge PCIe 2000 MB/sec needed max

ioDrive 00:13.0 (1005) Firmware 0
          Slot Power limit: 25.0W (25000mw)

ioDrive 00:14.0 (1005) Firmware 0
          Slot Power limit: 25.0W (25000mw)

However, 'll try to set the switch anyway and let you know the result.

Pasquale