1756081 Members
3966 Online
108841 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hard Drive space

Don Wendt

Hard Drive space

I have a HP DL320 G2- Server 2003. I just added a 320 gig Maxtor and the system only reconizes 137 gigs. I can't find any Bios upgrades to fix the problem. Or is there any software I can used to be able to see all of the hard drive? This drive will be D:\ for storage.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Don,

I don't know any workaround for this problem. The quickspecs for this server report a max disk size of 160 GB (only 137 GB will recorgnized).

Which OS do you use? Maybe it's possible for the OS to ignore the BIOS and detect the disk drive. This will work for example with linux.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
e4services
Honored Contributor

If the BIOS only recognizes 137 GB of the hard drive, your system BIOS does not support the full capacity of the drive.
Check for a BIOS update that addresses this.
OR-(Recommended) Purchase a PCI ATA controller card that will support the capacity of the drive. The two benefits of ATA controller cards are:
the ability to support large capacity drives
the ability to support the faster transfer rates of the drive
OR- you may be able to install a driver/software like MaxBlast or Intels application accelerator (for Intel chipsets) to work around the problem.

If you are not using the SCSI controller, I would add a good quality Adaptec IDE controller to solve the problem
Hot Swap Hard Drives
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor

it depends on the type of controller card installed and its technical characteristics

what type of card you have installed?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@scharchouf wrote:

it depends on the type of controller card installed and its technical characteristics

what type of card you have installed?

Another thread that is several years old. Please look at the last post date before replying to a thread.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!