ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1757708 Members
2307 Online
108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to install Win 98 on a Prosignia Server?? (Just for Fun - Yes I'm Insane!!)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ross Pettibone
Occasional Advisor

How to install Win 98 on a Prosignia Server?? (Just for Fun - Yes I'm Insane!!)

I have a Prosig 300 Pentium 150 with 208 MB RAM and 2 SCSI hard disks/CD/Tape Backup. I also have Smart Start 4.9 and NT Server - works great.

My question is: How would I install win 98/95 on this machine? The closest I've come to an answer would be an old DOS support file from HP/Compaq's website for SCSI CD ROM Drivers - that included all the "SYS" files - Do I write these into my own autoexec.bat and include the files on my boot disk? Or is there another easier way?

The Win 98 boot disk supplies SCSI drivers but not the funny ones that Compaq's servers require.

This machine only seems to like bootable cd roms and good luck changing the boot sequence with this OLD bios - (by the way I've installed the COmpaq utilities in the System Partition just like I was supposed to but they're of limited use for this).

Any hints?
Remember where you came from
2 REPLIES 2
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: How to install Win 98 on a Prosignia Server?? (Just for Fun - Yes I'm Insane!!)

Those old DOS drivers are the answer - you should also be able to create a DOS driver diskette from the SmartStart CD - and the easiest way is to copy the necessary files to the Windows 98 boot diskette & edit the config.sys & autoexec.bat files. FWS2ASPI.SYS & FWS2CD.SYS are the files you need. There may also be an option to create a Windows95 support diskette on your SmartStart CD - it's got SCSI, network & video drivers.
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to install Win 98 on a Prosignia Server?? (Just for Fun - Yes I'm Insane!!)

One more thing - the system partition utilities DO let you change the boot sequence - go to System Configuration and then select Power-On Defaults