ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1756525 Members
2223 Online
108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is this thing shot or what?

Becky Hartman

Is this thing shot or what?

To make a long struggle short here is the gist. We have a purchased a used proliant 3000 server with the Smart 2DH array controller. I need to know if this thing is worth salvaging or not. We are currently booting up and getting to the point where it tells us that processor 1 and 2 are recognized at 300 MHZ, but it goes no further. This began happening after the NVRAM was reset on the system board. We are experiencing other issues and were told this may be helpful...apparently not. HELP!!! We desperately need to be able to get this server back up...at least long enough to recover data!!!

Becky
4 REPLIES 4
alan lowney

Re: Is this thing shot or what?

Because testing the processors is part of POST you might find more problems if you get past this (ie you might open another can of worms). I'd suggest trying the salvageable components in another server to see what's working (and try known working RAM in this one) and for some reason I'd say you have a problem with the motherboard.
Claude Boileau
Valued Contributor

Hi Becky,
The other issues where they related to hardware? If there is a lots of devices (pci cards) and memory you would like to strip the server down specially in case of 3rd party hardware. And I you would try nvram again. Another sugg would be upgrade firware on the system board as well has on the controller and running the system configuration utility. If you need to software here is the link: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
Hope this will help
claude
Becky Hartman

Thanks you guys. We have tried to run the config utility... ugh... unfortunately part of what led us to erasing NVRAM...we are really working on this deal.

we have made progress but now are faced with finding the environment variable setting...anyone? We cannot procede with smartstart cd until we can change that...it says that setting is preventing it from continuing...
Becky Hartman

Sorry left some stuff out...

Claude-
our other problems began with failed array and recreation of array and what looks like another failed hd or failed processors...it has been a bit of a kluge, esp for novices such as we. We have stripped it of all 3rd party devices (a video card) and taken all non-essentials out of it...no dice. We are attempting the system config utility now but the environment variable message is what we are getting, (as discussed above).

Thanks again,
Becky