1755637 Members
3044 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G3 shuts down without warning

Bryan M. Wright
Occasional Contributor

ML150 G3 shuts down without warning

I have a ML150 G3 being used as a test system for drives and tape drives. Recently it has started acting up by shutting down for no reason. Here's what happens:
The video feed goes blank and the mouse and keyboard shut off. The fans stay on as if nothing has happened. It takes several reboots to get the system back up. Every time we try to reboot after the system dies, it gets to the HP splash screen and goes into the same mode as described before, monitor/keyboard/mouse off, fans still running.

I have gone through some of the simple diagnostic steps. I have removed all third party cards, unplugged the extra HD's, and removed all of the extra memory leaving only the 512MB stick. I have also reseated the processor and swapped it out with a known good one.

Looking at the system log through the serial port there is an error that keeps popping up:
Therm-Trip0

I didnt find anything with a google search, but I think it was related to the CPU Temp, not a 100% sure on it. I've read a couple of other posts with people having a similar problem, but they didnt have any resolutions posted. Thanks for any information you can give me.

-Bryan Wright
4 REPLIES 4
goldeng
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bryan

Hve you reseated the CPU, and checked that there is enough heatsink compound between the heatsink and the CPU

You could try scraping the old CPU compound off and applying some new compound.

Thanks

James
Bryan M. Wright
Occasional Contributor

I have reseated the processor inside and used rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal compound. I used the left over thermal grease that came with another ml380 to put the heat sink back on.
I got the full log now and this is the one that keeps popping up:

sensordescription=Therm-Trip0
eventdescription=State Asserted
eventdirection=Assertion

I have recently swapped out processors and heatsinks from systems that are working so far, and it still pops up with the same error. Thanks again.

-Bryan Wright
goldeng
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bryan

Is the server still under warranty with HP have you tired resetting the cmos battrey.

Is the enviorment for the server ok tempeture ect.

Have you put the side back on when dignosing the fault i know servers can over heat with the side of also are all the fines clear of dust.

Cheers James
erik0031
Occasional Visitor

My ML150G3 has a similar problem, did you solved the Therm-Trip0 issue?