1754237 Members
2974 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML330 G2 - MegaRAID IDE Spy

BR737666

ML330 G2 - MegaRAID IDE Spy

Details:
ML330 G2 with 4 IDE drives installed. MegaRAID IDE Spy is running. Last week The MegaRAID IDE Spy icon reported a drive error. We had to re-boot over the weekend to pick up some MS patches.

Question:
How does one determine which drive had the error. The 'activitylog.txt' file is empty. The MegaRAID IDE Spy only has three options; 1) Stop monitor media error 2) Erase error log 3) Quit spy.

TIA,
Mark
5 REPLIES 5
Zack Menendez
Advisor

Re: ML330 G2 - MegaRAID IDE Spy

Sorry I can't provide anything but more confusion, but I did want to piggy back off of your question. I have a DL320 G2, where I configured the integrated RAID to RAID 1 to mirror the drive. But I was floored that after I installed the "SmartStart" and all of its drivers & utilities that there were no RAID utilities to speak of. Even $70 RAID cards have little utilities where you can see the drives in the array and the array's status - but this doesn't have anything except "Spy" and I'm not even sure what that's communicating to me (nothing really). How do I even know the RAID is setup properly? What should I use to monitor the RAID?
CA1146640

I too have the same problem. Spy reports an error but there is nothing to see the state of the drives in Windows or what is causing the problem. This is not a manageable state of affairs. Nothing even in the event log.
CA1146640

I noticed that there is a file SETHTM.ZIP on the LSI site under Megaraid IDE100 files. From the Megaraid manual this looks like the install for a MMC addin for managing the Raid controller. Has anyone tried this on an HP server?
Zack Menendez_1
Occasional Advisor

Nope, I've never tried that before. You'll notice this was posted over a year ago. In that time, I did have a hard drive crash and had to replace it. When that happens, Spy gives you a few more options to rebuild the array as the system is running. It worked we got back online just fine, but it's still unfortunate that there's no management tool so you can constantly see what the RAID is up to and how it's feeling today.
CA1146640

I can confirm that the SETHTM.ZIP from the LSI site does work on a DL320 and shows the status of the RAID drives, allows consistency checks & rebuilds to be run, and shows the error logs. We had 1 read error on one of the drives but no consistency problems - but there doesn't seem to be any way to clear the error log. Unfortunately the dates in the log are completely wrong so I don't know how old the error is. I'm sure HP can do better than this.