108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G3 Memory sockets

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carolyn Chirpich_1
Occasional Advisor

ML350 G3 Memory sockets

I have 2 identical 2-GB DIMMS (SimpleTech P/N STC2874/2G) recently installed in ML350 G3. IML now reports "Uncorrectable Memory Error (System Memory, Memory Module 1) or (System Memory, Memory Module 2". IML also reports "Corrected Memory Error threshold exceeded (System Memory, Memory Module 4)". It seems unlikely to me that both memory modules are bad, and the fact that IML refers to Module 1, 2, and 4 is confusing since I have only 2 DIMMS. Any advice? Also, I am wondering if I could have installed the DIMMS in the wrong slots. If I have only 2 DIMMS installed does it matter if they are in sockets 1 and 2 vs sockets 3 and 4? Thanks in advance.

Carolyn
8 REPLIES 8
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Carolyn,

Is the memory you selected from SimpleTech identical to the recommended DIMMs from the 350 G3 QuickSpecs?

2048MB of Advanced ECC PC2100 DDR SDRAM DIMM Memory Kit (1 x 2048 MB)

HP Part Number 301044-B21

According to QuickSpecs there is no requirement that certain slots be populated in any order, see snippet below:

The ML350 G3 supports both interleaved and non-interleaved memory configurations. Array models ship standard with one 512MB DIMM, non-interleaved. For best performance automatically invoke interleaving by populating memory in identical pairs. Interleaving memory and installing in pairs is not required. Add any combination of memory DIMMs to operate in non-interleaved mode.

Scott
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hi Carolyn,

I can almost guarantee you that the issue is to do with the fact that it is non HP memory. HP servers are tested with the memory that they ship and are guaranteed to work with the memory. That being said, I'd try a few things:

1 - Make sure all firmware on the system is current

2 - Do not mix HP and non-HP DIMMS (99% chance this will cause issues)

3 - Clear NVRAM from the BIOS

4 - Verify this is the "EXACT" memory that this system uses. INcluding Cas Letency, Bus Speed, DDR 2 etc...

The only thing I can recommend other than that would be to try HP memory and see what happens. Unless the system board is the problem, I'm sure the HP memory will work.

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
Carolyn Chirpich_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your replies.

I did verify I have the exact memory for the part number of ML350 G3 on SimpleTech's site (http://www.simpletech.com/upgNav/index.php?ProfileID=330&Manufacturer=HP%2FCOMPAQ&Machine=Proliant&Model=52260).

I'm not mixing Dimms (both are SimpleTech.

I upgraded the firmware to most current and the errors still persisted.

How do I clear the NVRAM? Sounds like that's my last hope!

Thanks again -
Carolyn

Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Carolyn,

To clear the NVRAM you have 2 options. You may have the option in the BIOS (F9 after the array controllers are detected). It will be under advanced options and say: Erase Non Volatile Memory. Be aware that if you have an O/S on the box, I recommend puling the hard drives while the server is down, then folow this procedure. After you clear it, boot the server as normal.

The other option is the "System Configuration Switch" on the system board. Once you find this (Use top panel from the server), you must power the server on with Switch #6 in the opposite position. Ater about 10 seconds, turn the server off and put the switch back, and that's it.

Hope that helps~
Chris
Carolyn Chirpich_1
Occasional Advisor

Chris, thanks for the directions.
Even with pulling the hard drives first, clearing the NVRam scares me. How high are the risks? I see some strange things in the config record and am thinking maybe clearing NVRam would "right the wrong", but I'll start a new thread on that.

Thanks again!

Carolyn
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Clearing the NVRAM is pretty safe. It simply resets the BIOS to default config and clears the array controller. All the array info is stored on the drives so that's why iI got you to pull them.

Sorry, but I really can't give you much more. If you're not comfortable clearing the NVRAM, I don't have any other ideas.

My only recommendation is that it is most likely caused by the memory.

Sorry,
Chris
Carolyn Chirpich_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,
There are only so many options for this problem, and I think I'm clear on what they are. You've been a great help -- Thanks!
Carolyn Chirpich_1
Occasional Advisor

I have the answer to my question.