1948 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML370 G2, Mismatched Dual CPU's question

Paul Taylor
Advisor

ML370 G2, Mismatched Dual CPU's question

Hi all,

Ive just purchased 5 ML370 G2 servers off Ebay. All were 1.4GHz models.
I was either going to use them, or use them as spares for my 25 in Service ML370 G2's.

All 5 of the servers that i purchased have Dual CPU's. But on inspection CPU 1 is a 1.4GHz, and CPU 2 is a 1.13GHz. The servers themselves boot fine and without error. I have built them up with Windows 2000 Server using SmartStart 7.4, and the HP Manangement page shows all green lights. No errors.

But CPU 1 is cool to the Touch, whereas CPU 2 is really quite hot. But when the Server boots it shows 2x 1.4GHz CPUs in the BIOS Post Test.

Q. I assume that the Motherboard is just overclocking CPU 2 so it matches that of CPU 1. Correct ?
They seem quite stable and have not crashed, but ovoiusly this is not ideal.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Regards,
Paul Taylor. UK.

5 REPLIES 5
Derek Whigham_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: ML370 G2, Mismatched Dual CPU's question

I think that the CPU's should clock down to 1.13Ghz unless they have been forced in the BIOS to 1.4Ghz, I would just match two 1.4Ghz and two 1.13Ghz CPU's together. That should settle down the CPU's on the Heating Front.
Divide and Conquer
e4services
Honored Contributor

Interesting....
Though this does not seem possible. The BIOS should hang at post, at least as far as my experience goes, if the 2 core speeds are different. You are sure they are different? Specially if the BIOS reports 3 1.4's, which means it read the CPUs as such off the microcode.
But there is no way the BIOS would overclock a slower CPU.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Paul Taylor
Advisor

Well in all 5 servers that i am concerned about they have a 1.4GHz CPU in position 1, and a 1.13GHz CPU in position 2.

This is what is written on the little Compaq stick label on the Heatsink.

As CPU 2 is getting alot hotter, and the BIOS POST Test reports 2x 1.4GHZ CPU's. this is what made me think the motherboard was overclocking No.2

Paul Taylor.
Paul Taylor
Advisor

OK i have verified my origional thoughts.

In one server i removed both the CPU's. I put the one marked "1.13GHz" into Slot 1 and left Slot 2 empty. Rebooted the Server and got a BIOS POST Test with 1x 1.13GHz CPU.

Put the 1.13 back into Slot 2, and the 1.4 back into Slot 1. Reboot and you have 2x 1.4GHz CPU's.

It is definately over clocking CPU 2, its temp is 16c higher than CPU 1.

All machines have had the Firmware Maintenance CD 7.4 run on them, so they are fully up to date.

Paul Taylor.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

I think Derek's idea above is the best overall solution. Move CPU's around so that you have 2 systems with Dual 1.4Ghz CPU's and 2 systems with Dual 1.13Ghz CPU's. This will leave you with one system with an unmatched pair which you can make a decision on whether to simply remove the slower CPU. I don't think you can afford to risk future overheating problems and the consequences, even if you did get them for a reasonable price on E-bay.

The 1.13Ghz system performance downgrades will only be marginal in any case.

Brian