ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754229 Members
3561 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G3 keeps crashing

Bimal Damji

ML370 G3 keeps crashing

dual 2.8Ghz 2GB RAM. six 146.8GB drives, SMART 6402 ctlr, running Windows Server 2003. Keeps rebooting 3 or 4 times daily with either 0x0000000a or less often 0x0000007f errors. Have replaced RAM, motherboard, SMART ctlr and power supplies. Any ideas. No applications installed except McAfee Viruscan7 and BackupExec 9. Only the CPU's left to replace and/or rebuild to windows 2000. Have already rebuilt once but put W2k3 on it again. Any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Bimal,
Please make sure that the system bios and the firmware of SA6402 is uptodate. If not then here is the link for both of them:

BIOS:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20093.html

Firmware of 6402:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19177.html

Also try to eliminate the obvious by removing any third party hw if you have any.
Please let me know how you make out.

Regards,
Bimal Damji

Thanks for the quick reply but I have already applied the latest firmware and BIOS updates. I have run full diags as well - although the memory diags only took about 20mins - I can't believe it can be this quick. Have HP changed the diagnostic routines? I have also stopped hyperthreading and set the APIC to full table mapped in case this helps - it has crashed once since then.
Greg Hinrichs

I just purchased this exact server and would like to know what you did to resolve the problem.
Bimal Damji

So far it has remained stable after having rebuilt it a third time but this time with Windows 2000 Server NOT w2k3. So, the only deduction from that is that something with this model of server doesn't agree with W2k3 - HP do you concur????
Greg Hinrichs

Those seem like memory allocation errors. With the size of drives that you are using, did anyone suggest the 6402/128 controller with the expanded memory?...natively I believe they only come with 64MB onboard the controller.

It would also be interested to see if you did an in-place upgrade to W2k3, if the problem come back!
Bimal Damji

It does have a 6402/128, or are you referring to it having even more memory than 128MB? I doubt if we'll do an in-place upgrade to w2k3, for now my users are just happy for it to stay up!
Greg Hinrichs

I was referring to the 128, but I understand they make a 256 as well. Best of luck with it staying up. We have built a couple like this, but only have 6-36GB drives. However, they are running problem-free.