1755960 Members
4604 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML370 G5 Power supply issue?

kevshed

ML370 G5 Power supply issue?

Hi all,

I have an ML370 G5 installed at a remote site, and for some reason, with no changes it keeps loosing power. Event logs say 'unexpected power loss', and amber power light on the front of the sytem blinks.

I can connect remotely to the ILO2 (latest FW) and send power up commands but nothing happens.

The only way i can power up the machine, is by physically going to it and holding the button.

Ive tested the power supply to the server, and there are no outages on the circuit.

This is costing me a fortune... any thoughts?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

A few thoughts in no particular order...

Although there have been no outages that you're aware of, there might have been power spikes or fluctuations. These can make computers do strange things... You might want to install a mains filter.

Do you have the redundant power supply option installed ? If not, then you should, and try to make sure each one goes do a different mains circuit.

Is the server connected to a UPS ?

If you've already done all of those things, then from looking at the Maintenance and Service guide, here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710498/c00710498.pdf

I'd guess that you've either got faulty power supplies, or the power supply backplane is faulty...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
kevshed

Thanks Rob.

To answer some of your questions.

This is a basic installation, so there is no redundancy at all in this case, or a UPS. This was something i was going to try though, so glad you made the comment.

What i have noticed, is that although the server goes down, the ILO log doesnt show that the ILO looses power, which i'd expect if the mains was at fault.

Also, why would the ILO power up functions not work?

I'll get a UPS to eliminate the mains supply from the equation, though i am not convinced that it is the suppply. I've been installing these things for 15 years and am yet to have a server that is hyper sensative to mains issues.

Thanks.
Kev
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Kev,

> What i have noticed, is that although the server goes down, the ILO log doesnt show
> that the ILO looses power, which i'd expect if the mains was at fault.

That's what makes me think it might be a problem with the power backplane. As it's a G5 I assume it's still under warranty, so log a support call...

Cheers,

Rob