108860 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Merging 2 Single Processor DL380 G4's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brennan, Steve

Merging 2 Single Processor DL380 G4's

Hello all,

Being the good natured chap that I am, I support a school from time to time with their IT infrastructure.

I've been donanted 2 x DL380 G4's which are completely identical (processor etc).

As the school doesn't really need 2 servers I was hoping of merging the 2 to make 1 more powerfull machine for them.

I am thinking that moving the processor and fans from one server to another is ok but just wanted to check on 2 things.

As the second processor needs an extra vrm module, can I use the sole 1 from the donor machine in the targer server? (which would give me 1 vrm per processor).

Also each server only has 1 psu. If and when I get the dual processor server running is it needed to have 2 x psu's inserted?

Thank you for any advice offered. I prefer to ask instead of risking frying something :)

Cheers

Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

we have lot of this type of servers,

in some servers we upgraded the number of CPU, from 1 ==> 2 CPU, we recieved a Upgrade package from HP, there was CPU + additional CPU power board.

mikap
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i forgot, you don't need to install second PowerSupply, because the second is there only for redudancy.

mikap
Brennan, Steve

Hi Mikap,

Thanks for the reply and clarification on the psu.

I am aware of the upgrade kit you can buy from HP but as the school does not have enough space for 2 servers I thought that upgrading 1 would be fine, as well as cheaper :)

I'm just not 100% sure though if the 2nd cpu vrm module is diffferent in any way to the primary installed vrm module.

Cheers

Steve

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check this quick spec for HP Proliant Dl380 G4

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html

find this section : Power Specifications

there is only two parts

Part number - 321632-001
Spare Kit - 355892-B21

so if your servers are identical model type the VRM modules are the same.

mikap