1757056 Members
2459 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirroring drives DL380 smart array 5i

Jesse Mathis
Occasional Advisor

Mirroring drives DL380 smart array 5i

Regular backup are performed on the server every night so this is not a solution over good backups.
We have a server that has 2 mirrored 36 GB drives. We want to remove one of the drives to keep safe in case something bad happens. We shut the system down and remove one of the drives. The boot the system. The proliant states that a drive is missing press F1 to continue(disable all drive) or press F2 to fail drive (Default if no key is pressed is F2). We press F2 to continue the boot process. Everything boots fine like it should. Lets say we do an upgrade of some sort for and application and screw it up. Thats ok we have the old mirrored drive to boot from. We shut the system down and remove the current drive. We only put the mirrored drive that was removed earlier into the system. We hope the server will boot from this drive however it does not. The system cannot find the logical drives.

Can someone help. Since the proliant failed that particular drive does it erase partition info from the drive the next time it is placed in the system. Does the system think that the drive is bad? Help please
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Mirroring drives DL380 smart array 5i

Normally if you pull drive out when system down
And after use same drive in the same slot should be no problem
Had you used same slot?
Jesse Mathis
Occasional Advisor

I have tried in the same slot and in a different slot but with no luck.
Jesse Mathis
Occasional Advisor

I feel like an idiot. You were right. I could have sworn that the drive was placed in the correct slot. I ran the ADU and it told me that the drive needed to be changed to the proper slot. It gave the slot number to me.
Edward Sliman
Occasional Advisor

Did you leave the second drive in its original slot? I believe that the config info is written in at least 2 places, one being the controller and the other being the drive itself, so it may not like it if change slots.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Would you be able try same drive in the same slot, in the different system ? See if 1 Logical drive Detected. ?
Jesse Mathis
Occasional Advisor

Tried it in a different system as well. It will not work unless it is in the correct slot. Removed the drive from slot 1 of Server A and placed it into Slot 0 of Server B. No go. The server will not boot from or see the logical drive. If I shutdown Server B and move the drive to slot 1 it boots fine.