108812 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Ml150 G6 Memory Upgrade - 101 Unsupported Memory Population

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kolinl79
Occasional Contributor

Ml150 G6 Memory Upgrade - 101 Unsupported Memory Population

I attempted to install 48GB in my 2 Xeon system. I have looked at the memory configurator, which in this case only matters that I hit my cap.

Based on the instructions I can tell you, memory is all the same (Part/Model/etc.) and I have two procs. Memory is not HP validated, however it's been working in another ML150 G6 without issue.

When the memory is installed into CPU2, I can get 40GB of memory detected with the error. I tested each DIMM by installing only in slot A on CPU2 and all worked. I have upgraded the BMC firmware with no change. I also ran the easy setup CD and the HP diagnostic's, it detects 48GB and all tests pass. All DIMMS show size and no failure. I even ended up upgrading tthe BIOS firmware and starting from scratch.

I thought the memory was bad, though I shoud be getting errors. What I am doing wrong, it's 1AM and it's driving me nuts.....

6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

It is good you've updated bios and firmwares.

You have 2 CPU's, according HP memory configurator there is only one possible config - 12x 4GB DualRank memory modules (check http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/options/tool/hp_memtool.html - but you write you've done it) - http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3981979 .

In this config are all slots full. So it seem you have different memory - like quad rank or something similar.

Check as well quickspecs, there is lot about memory config: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13249_div/13249_div.HTML#Memory

Could you specify exactly your memory types?

Jan

Kolinl79
Occasional Contributor

12 x Kingston KTH-PL313/4g. This memory was moved from another machine that had nearly the same specs.

I read over the doc, nothing new so far. 

If I move around the memory on the CPU2 banks, I can get up to 40GB with the error. if I test each individually they boot, no error. its almost as if I have an "almost" bad stick when its in dual channel mode. Hence the reason for only getting 40GB, one on the pairs is bad. Just a guess at this point. 

GENERAL INFORMATION: 
MANUFACTURER: KINSTON 
MANUFACTURER PART NUMBER: KTH-PL313/4G 
PRODUCT NAME: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM MEMORY MODULE 

TECHNICAL INFORMATION: 
STORAGE CAPACITY: 4GB 
MEMORY TECHNOLOGY: DDR3 SDRAM 
NUMBER OF MODULES: 1 X 4GB 
MEMORY SPEED: 1333MHZ DDR3-1333/PC3-10600 
DATA INTEGRITY CHECK: ECC CHIPKILL 
SIGNAL PROCESSING: REGISTERED 
CAS LATENCY TIMINGS: CL9 
PLATFORM SUPPORT: PROLIANT SERVER 

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: 
FORM FACTOR: 240-PIN DIMM 
SHIPPING DIMENSIONS: 2.00 (HEIGHT) X 7.00 (DEPTH) 
SHIPPING WEIGHT: 0.20 LB 

COMPATIBILITY: 
HP/COMPAQ-PROLIANT SERVER: 
- PROPRIETARY HP/COMPAQ SERVER - BL280C G6 / BL460C G6 / BL490C G6 
- PROPRIETARY HP/COMPAQ SERVER - DL160 G6 / DL180 G6 / DL360 G6 / DL370 G6 / DL380 G6 
- PROPRIETARY HP/COMPAQ SERVER - ML150 G6 / ML350 G6 / ML370 G6 
- PROPRIETARY HP/COMPAQ - Z800 WORKSTATION 

CONDITION: NEW BULK 
AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK 
USUALLY SHIPS: SAME DAY 
SERVERSUPPLY WARRANTY: 30 DAYS

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Just a suggestion:

Have you tried swapping or replacing the processor?

I had a similar issue long time back, we replaced RAM and system board but nogo.

Later we replaced the processor and that worked, there was some problem with processor.

So I would suggest to swap the processors and check.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Kolinl79
Occasional Contributor

I swapped processors from the old system with the new system. No change. Since the swap, can't get the server back to 40GB anymore, hanging at 32B total.

Kolinl79
Occasional Contributor

Not that I accept this as a solution. Looks like replacing the board AND using HP certified memory helped one other user experiencing similar issues. 

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/M150-G6-Memory-Issues/td-p/4811061

Kolinl79
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Ended up getting HP out here to replace the board. There were bent pins under PROC2. After the replacement I get 48GB of memory. 

They did sqwak about not having certified HP memory.