1757037 Members
3141 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

NT crashed on DL580

donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

NT crashed on DL580

Hello. I HAD a DL580 G1 server running on NT4 & had a Compaq 5300 Amsrt Array controller. The 4 drivers are on RAID 5 & another 4 are mirrored. I have my database and application data on the drives. I had to restart the server and it never came up. I got a message “C:\WINNT\SYSTE32\CONFIG is corrupt. Insert the original CD & press R to repair.
I did that and installed the drivers for the controller. I got to the section where I can repair or install NT. I tried repair and got a message that disk configuration has some error.
Then I tried to install NT so that if I have the OS, I can copy my data and thrash the server but the same error.
Can someone advise me if there is any way in which I can retrieve my data.
I have a backup on the tape but that is taken thru Solstice backup on a UNIX box. I don’t know how to use it. Any help at times like this will be helpful. Thanks in adv
5 REPLIES 5
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Re: NT crashed on DL580

IS the contoller detecting logical drives during the POST?

Sincerly.
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Yes during the boot, when I press F8, I can see the logical drives and their status is OK.
Can I use any CD to bypass the files and get any sort of OS to get my data ????
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

This is the error message that I am getting:

Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware Configuration Problem.
Could not read from the boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

What can I do now ???
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Run parallel install for Win 2000 to any partition if space available and extract your data. You can add even additional drive. It say's.... 4 Drives and another 4 drives ... you have External enclosure? You have more empty drive bays? SA5300 support Roaming, so you might be able to Remove all Drives Simulates O/S Install on the additional Drive and after add all others, Array configuration should automatically notify you about drive position has been changed and accept changes.
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi First I should run server diagnostics. TO see if my disks are as healthy as they cleamed to be.

Reinstall NT without using smartstart and without formating the disk, walks through the setup procedure and Hope that he will boot so that you can access the disks.

Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.