1754172 Members
3217 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Need Help on HP Proliant DL580

MedThol
Occasional Visitor

Need Help on HP Proliant DL580

We have a new HP Proliant DL580 which cannot pick up HP Storageworks Ultrium 1760. The entire IT staff have been working on it, but no progress has been registered. Kindly provide we any technical instruction as to achieved our desired goals

P.S. This thread has been moved from Welcome to the Community > Community Feedback & Suggestions to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help on HP Proliant DL580

Need more information to do more than basic "level 1" questions like...

What generation DL580?
What operating system?
What software are you using for backup to tape (BackupExec, NetBackup, Data Protector, something else?)
What connectivity are you using? (i.e. Fibre Channel, SCSI, SAS)
What make & model # host bus adapter are you using internally in the server to connect to?
Is the Ultrium 1760 a standalone drive, or part of an automated mechanism (1/8 Autoloader or MSL library)?

Of course, the basic level 1 questions without knowing these would be:
- Have you tried re-seating the host bus adapter in the server?
- Do you have another HBA or other PCI/PCIe card that you can use to verify that the slot in the server isn't defective?
- Do you have another HBA you can use to verify the HBA card isn't defective?
- Have you tried reseating the cable connections on both the server and tape drive end?
- Have you tried replacing the cable to ensure it's not a defective connection cable?
- Do you have another tape drive to test to check to see if perhaps its a defective unit? Does the tape drive exhibit "signs of life" in general (i.e. power lights, etc)?
- If it's a SCSI connection, have you rebooted the server after connecting the drive? Is the SCSI chain properly terminated, with all appropriate SCSI IDs set with no conflicts?

Best I can come up with so far given what's been tendered as info.
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.