1754057 Members
2604 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

New Tread moving from DL380G3 to G4

Rico Denzler
Occasional Contributor

New Tread moving from DL380G3 to G4

Hi i was reading the Treads for moving G3 to G4 Server.

I have one G3 server with 4*72Gb Disks and one G4, 4*300Gb Disks.
I've made a ghost file from my G3 (bevore installing the driver)
What i now want to do is move everything to G4.

I now have serveral issues:
1.) If i install the Driver and the .reg file to my G3, if i then fail, will my G3 still boot?

2.) I was restoring the Ghost-file to my G4 (unmodified G3) and accessing it with BartPE-CD (incl Registry editor), is there some files, what i just can replace? I was adding the registry file (in the BartPE-env. to the G4 env. already)

1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: New Tread moving from DL380G3 to G4

Rico:

1. Yes. The driver is the same for the 5i and 6i. The different in the machines is whats in the reg file. The 5i system does not have the necessary "6i" information to boot properly. With the reg file installed, the system retains the 5i info, but also adds in the 6i info.

2. If you can add in the reg entry, that will be all you need. I would suggest pre-installing the driver since it is just an updated 5i/6i driver and should work flawlessly on the g3. After you finally get the server bootedwith the image, yoiu will need to install other drivers for the different devices it finds.... I believe the NIC drivers are different and the video and some other system devices, but all I needed was the latest SSD to get everyhting my g3 to g4 experiment needed.

I am considering installing the drivers and reg file on ALL my 380g2 and g3's as a backup incase any other hardware fails. At that time, I can just swap servers and be back up and running in less then 30 minutes. Yes, I tried it with a g2 and it works.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)