108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No shut down when I press the power button under Windows 2003 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rosco_1
Frequent Advisor

No shut down when I press the power button under Windows 2003 server

I've seent this query posted but never answered but have the subject issue on all my Proliant ML370 G2 and DL360 G1 servers will 2003 server on them.
When the exact same HW had W2k server on them, a press of the power button brought the server down in a controlled manner (6006).

Now under 2003, the only way to bring it down if you can't logon is to press and hold the power button, hard & cold shutdown (6008).

I've checked the CP power settings and they say "shut down" when the button is pressed. All servers are running the latest firmware updates from HP.

Any pointers?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Rosco
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is because of the Windows 2003 Shutdown Event Tracker. You can disable it easily:

start --> run --> "mmc" --> file --> add/remove snap-in --> add --> finish --> close --> [OK] --> group policy editor

Find \Console Root\Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System and change the policy "Display Shutdown Event Tracker" to disabled.
Rosco_1
Frequent Advisor

I'll give this a try but I'm skeptical as I disble the shutdown event tracker with a reg entry as part of the build process but I can see how it could be related and my reg work not possibly entirely remove all the residue left by the shutdown tracker.

I'll post the results.

Thanks

Rosco
Rosco_1
Frequent Advisor

It was indeed the GPO! Even though I remove the event shutdown tracker in the build process, something remains that needs to be diabled only by GPO.

Many thanks

Rosco