1754252 Members
3481 Online
108812 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

POST 177 error on ProLiant 3000

Greg Struthers
Occasional Contributor

POST 177 error on ProLiant 3000

On a Compaq ProLiant 3000 (remote location) running NT4 with an external array attached, have recently been getting the following error during boot: "POST Error: 177-Configuration Not Complete Controller Order Not Setup". Pressing F1 to continue just reboots the server. So far, the only way to get past this is to have site contact power down server, power down array, power up array and power up server. Then he is still prompted for F1, but this time server boots. I have searched long and hard for the 177 error in relation to the Proliant 3000, but only see references to it for other models. Have also talked to HP Support, and they have no reference to this error with the 3000 model.

Looking at the System Management Homepage, there is no indication of hardware failure/degradation, and this server has been in production status since 1999. First noticed approximately 1 month ago. No hardware changes have happened, and the only software change (that I'm aware of) was applying the MS06-040 Windows security patch.

In the references I have found to the POST 177 error, it indicates that we need to run the System Configuration Utility and correct. Does anyone else have any other solution, or is this the correct one for the 3000 model? Any ideas as to what would cause the system to all of a sudden think it is misconfigured?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
nurascorpio
Regular Advisor

Re: POST 177 error on ProLiant 3000

Hi Greg,

Try checking the SW2 switch, the SW2 configuration switches all need to be set to OFF.

Sometimes if the switch 7 is set to on you can get this error.

Regds

NS
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Re: POST 177 error on ProLiant 3000

As you have mentioned running System Configuration Utility is the right way from where you can set the Boot Controller order

Incase it still continues,it would be worth checking the System CMOS battery which may need a replacement as in case issue is recurring,it may be that the CMOS settings are not getting preserved.