108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PPM1 Failure ML350 G4 - Options to Recover

SOLVED
Go to solution
prxhi
Advisor

PPM1 Failure ML350 G4 - Options to Recover

Hi, we have a ML350 G4 that went down due to a PPM1 failure. It appears that the module is onboard so swapping it with a spare is out of the question.

I have a spare ML350 G5 that can be used as a replacement server. Can I pop in the drives from the G4 to the G5 server and will it work? It is my understanding that the RAID information is stored on the disks and would work with no problems if I was moving them between servers with the exact hardware.

I want to know if moving the drives will work from G4 to G5.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Solution

yes precisely raid info is on disk not on controllers

by the way the ppm amber light is often lit because your power supply 403781-001
has failed
its circuitry causes the ppm module to light so swap the power supply and try that first its the esier option , adn also helps trouble shoot.

>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:
prxhi
Advisor

I see, so PPM1 failure could be a bad PSU. Thank you, I will try swapping the PSU first and report back on whether or not it worked.

If that option doesn't work, I will move the drives to the G5 server and hopefully it will boot my OS and run stable.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

yes they are the preferred logical steps

>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Goodluck :)
prxhi
Advisor

Ugh, the G4 has u320 drives and the G5 has SAS. I guess the drive swap scenerio is out of the question. Would some sort of Physical 2 Physical conversion work in this scenerio? I have a spare DL380 G4 that also takes u320 drives and am wondering if I can use that instead.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

swapping disk is not decided the generation of the model , but teh interface of the disk , u320 sas sats etc

many model servers can be bought with either option it is the motherboard in them that ultimately decides.
prxhi
Advisor

thank you mark for your help.

the solution we are pursuing now is a bit akward. we borrowed another ml350 to use as a shell so that we could get a full image backup using acronis.

we went with acronis for 2 reasons... the first being that it has a feature (universal restore) that allows you to restore the image to dissimilar hardware, and second their image file format is supported by vmware's p2v converter.

if the universal restore to dissimilar hardware does not work, we plan on virtualizing this server into an ESX environment.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

well that should work like they

goodluck ;)