1754069 Members
3295 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PXE-E53 No boot filename received

ChandraMonkey

Hi,

I have ProLiant ML 150 G2 with SCSI sever. It has two processors and 2 hard drives. I removed 1 HDD and 1 Processor and installed W2k. Now when I attach the second HDD, its throwing the following error message and not booting at all.

Operating System not found.

When I unplug the second HDD its booting.

I ran out of ideas.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Chandra
4 REPLIES 4
ChandraMonkey

Re: PXE-E53 No boot filename received

Want to add some more Info.

The second HDD is detected by Bios as I can enter the into Disk utilities and format the second HDD.

The Controller is SCSI 320.

Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi ChandraMonkey,

There could be some issue with SCSI ID causing the server not to Boot.

What could be happining is the HDD 2 is at lower SCSI ID than the HDD 1. Ensure that the HDD which has the OS is installed in slot/bay 0. The SCSI backplane will automatically assign the SCSI IDs to the Hdds. On the Hdd cage there will be marking denoting the SCSI ID that will be assigned to that slot/bay.

Move the HDD 1 to the Lower most slot/bay usually that will be slot/bay 0 and put the HDD 2 on slot/bay 1 and OS should boot and everything should work fine.

Regards,
Raj.
ChandraMonkey

Thank you Raj for the suggestion.
Thats exactly what I thought was happening. The HDD (call it HDD 1) where W2K is installed is in the bottom most slot. The cable that runs from SCSI controller goes to HDD1 and then it goes to HDD2.

But when I press Ctrl+S at the time of boot and see the configuration, HDD1 is assigned SCSI Id : 1 and HDD2 is assigned SCSI Id : 2.

Whatever you said is exactly the case in my server.

And why is it assigning 0 to second HDD and 1 to First HDD?

Is there any other way I can assign the SCSI Id 0 to HDD1 and SCSI Id 1 to HDD2, apart from changing the location(effectively running the cable to HDD2 first and then to HDD1).

Appreciate your help.

Thank you
Chandra
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi ChandraMonkey,

Check on the HDD if there is any jumper. If so than we could manually set the SCSI IDs to the Hdds. If the HDDs is not Hotplug than Jumpers should be there on the hdds.

That is the other option available.

Regards,
Raj.