1756616 Members
2756 Online
108849 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Preview - Proliant ML570 - No video

Wireless_1
Advisor

Preview - Proliant ML570 - No video

I have a ML570. My Proliant is booting up with all the LED's on the board and front as well as the on board diagnostic display pointing to no problems - but I simply cant get the display to go - neither the built in display adapter nor my new PCI video card (with the onboard video disabled via the Dip switch on the feature board) display anything on the monitor.

I am kind of dumbfounded as without the display I can not do any further diagnostics.

Right now I am trying with the minimum memory (Single 256MB (133MHz) modules on Bank 1 ) and no hard drives - so at least I ought to get the Bios screen - but Nothing!

Pressing F9 / F10 makes no difference during boot. I even tried the 6th dip switch to clear the config and rebooting again - again no luck.

The server power up fine... fans come on and stay on, all LED lights that supposed to come on are lit in green and there are no interlock/warning lights. The lights on the front are all green and not flashing. There are no error LEDs on the board and the LED display shows 00 so no problems detected by the onboard. BUT there is no video output.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated ... Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Preview - Proliant ML570 - No video

Hi,

I assume you've sanity checked that your monitor is working correctly on another machine...

Cheers,

Rob
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

have you tried using ilo?

if everything is working using ilo
then your video card is not working your SB needs to be replace, of course just this case the monitor is OK

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Wireless_1
Advisor

Thank you Karlo and Rob.

(1) I tested the monitor with a laptop - and it is working fine.

(2) The server is not under warranty - I rather prefer to get the display going (either by disabling the onboard one and using my new video card, or getting the onboard one to work if possible).

(3) One think I did not notice with all the fan noice - When I turn on the computer, the server foes a long beep every few seconds continueously

Thanks again
Wireless_1
Advisor

Karlo,

This proliant is the 1st generation ML570 (as opposed to the newer G3/G4 with ILO. I dont think it has built in ILO. Anyway, I dont see any alternate VGA ports at the back.

I do have another Lights out board - but it is in the data centre.

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes. The G1 didn't have built in iLO. There is an optional RILOE II card.

If I recall correctly, that card could cause video problems in some situations... I'm not sure from your previous post whether you mean this server has one of those cards installed or not...

If it does, try removing it and see what happens.

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I take it that you've found the maintenance and service guide here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_122821-002_rev3_us/TPM_122821-002_rev3_us.pdf

That might help you to identify the beeping you're hearing...

Cheers,

Rob
Wireless_1
Advisor

(1) RILOE II: No it never had a RILOE II card. Infact, I have taken all the cards out (including the RAID controller and the new VGA adapter and NIC). So the only thing the computer has is the power / memory / quad processors and of course the System board.

(2) Beeps: Yeah I did check the Maintenance and Service Manual before I posted my query. There is a list of post messages and corresponding beeps in section 3.8. However, I am not getting discrete beeps synomous with the post error - I am getting contineous 3 second long beeps that goes on for ever like this: ___---___---___---___---___---___
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hmmm... sounds odd.

As a next step I'd probably try stripping out everything except minimum memory and a single CPU...

If that gets the same symptoms try using a different CPU in processor slot 1...

If all else fails, stick it in the back of a car, and take it for a drive - let the computer think it's going to the repair shop. It sounds daft, but it's been known to work on more than one occasion !!

Good luck,

Rob
Wireless_1
Advisor

It is probably not the processors or memory - as There are no error LEDs on the board and the LED display shows 00. Besides I have unseated and reseated all processors and cards to no avail. I also tried proccessor and memory from a different server - to no avail.

(1) Does anyone know how to disable the onboard video? It is supposed to be automatic when you plug in the second video card. The new video card has no signal - even when I manually set dip switch ob the SB).

(2) Alternately can anyone help me by recording the keyboard sequence to access the bios screen blindly?

(3) I searched the forums and there has been unresolved posts of similar nature relating to both ML570's and DL580's (Aparently they both use the same mainboard). Anyway. DOes anyone from HP suggest something short of replacing the system board / motherboard?