4643 Online
108841 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProLiant DL580 G2 PCI video card problems

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

ProLiant DL580 G2 PCI video card problems

Hello!

I wanted to install a PCI video card and use it instead of the integrated 8MB ATI Rage XL. It is a universal 32bit PCI card with 64MB video ram. After installing it in one of the PCI-X slots, the server correctly gets video signal and I see the memory and CPU detection, but the SmartArray raid controller message doesn't show up and the booting doesn't continue beyond that point (although I hear both of my U320 drives spinning up). I assume this is a problem with IRQs because after removing the video card the server boots up normally. The frustrating thing is that I cannot access the BIOS to mess with IRQs because the booting sequence doesn't reach that point before freezing while having the card installed.

Video card is: ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI

13 REPLIES 13
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would suggest to check if this card is compatible with this server.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11372_na/11372_na.HTML

If the server stops at POST or does not continue the POST with the card installed, its because the card is using most of the resources.

Also you may try to update the BIOS to the latest to see if that fixes the issue.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

The provided link tells nothing about supported PCI cards, and the link leading to the chipset specifications inside is broken. I was thinking about updating the bios, but if something goes wrong with the update I can throw out the whole server so I keep that as a final solution (and nothing regarding PCI was fixed or added until the latest BIOS release (lol, date 2004) ).

Outside that PCI videocard there is only one installed, it is a dual gigabit port network card. If it is consuming most of the resources, how to get around that and what is so extraordinary in it compared to other cards that it consumes so much?

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

Seems like this is a problem with some older HP brand computers which was not addressed:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-cards-displays/19100-ati-radeon-7000-64mb-ddr-pci-problem.html

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=871895

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/1279/

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33679048

If I get it correctly there is nothing I can do unless the tech guys at HP fix this. Sadly it is unlikely to happen considering the age of the hardware :-(

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Home-PCs-Pavilion-Presario/Need-help-with-a-PNY-GeForce2-MX400-PCI/td-p/58462

This link tells that basically most of if not all HP computers don't support PCI video cards, which is really a problem with computers that only have PCI(-X) slots... Some bios fix for this would be really great.

rf1nley
Advisor

I'm not trying to hijack this this thread but I have a DL360 G4 and have been experiencing similar problems.  I did a lot of reading about PCI slots before I decided to try a soundblaster card.   I met with similar results to those listed above.

I read in one place that PCI-X is backwards compatible with all of the older PCI types.  I read in another place that PCI-X is backwards compatible with everything EXEPT old 5v cards.  The only thing the HP specs tell me is that the slots are PCI-X.

Could you please direct us towards a resource for checking card compatibility?

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

PCI Bus compatability.

PCI 1 run at 5 volt.

PCI 2 run at 3,3 volt.

5 volt cards will run on 5 volt busses only.

3.3 volt cards will run at 3.3 volt only.

Universal cards will run both voltages (3.3 volt and 5 volt)

PCI cards are keyed. A 3.3 can't be installed in a 5 volt bus, nor can a 5 volt card be installed in a 3.3 volt bus.

If i remember correctly, only 32 bit / 33 MHz is PCI 1 (5 volt).

PCI-X is fully compatible with all 3.3 and universal cards.

Normally, I would say. For a Video card to disables a embedded PCI/AGP video card it must be installed in the first available slot, on the first available PCI Bus. In the ProLiant servers, it mostly the highest numbered I/O slot.

But at least for the DL580 G2, HP recommend to use slot 1, for the RiLoe.

When you install a RiLoe card in a ProLiant, it actually disable the embedded video, and act as a plugged in video card.

Try slot 1 or 6.  And ensure, its not on the same bus as the smart array controller.

Slot 1 and 2 = PCI bus 10

Slot 3 and 4 = PCI bus 6

Slot 5 and 6 = PCI bus 2

BR

jag

Accept or Kudo

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

Tried already in every slot, does not work. PCI video cards need bios support.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Since the RiLoe, is a PCI Video adapter + a few more features, obviously the BIOS got PCI video support.

So this is not why your setup doesn´t work.

It might be, that paticular Viode card, have som requirements, that the Server doesn't support. Afterall this is not a PC, It's a server.

Could be you may get it to work through a BIOS upgrade.

Might be a HW fault.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo

werewolf159
Occasional Advisor

The only thing coming to my mind is that my video card supports dual monitor display, one D-SUB and a DVI. I've already checked bios upgrades but HP didn't touch anything PCI related except adding one network card to the bios list.

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Well the dual output is of no matter.

You did mention, conflikts with the Smart Array controller.

You could take a look at that.

1. Remove the video card, and use the embedded video. Open the RBSU, and take note off the Smart Array.

2. Remove Smart Array, and use the PCI video. Open the PBSU.

Change conflikcts. Note shared IRQ is normal on PCI and work well.

I can't remeber if the DL580 G2, got RBSU, if not. You can use a smart start CD.

BR

/jag

Accept or Kudo