ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1757016 Members
2342 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with optional DL360G4 memory

Laurens van de Weg

Problems with optional DL360G4 memory

Are there problems with placing additional memory options in the DL360G4 servers ?
One of my customers has added a 1GB option, but is does not work !?
The distributor claims that HP says there might be problems with certain DL360G4 servers ?! Is this a known problem !?!?
The server partnr: 368134-421, the option partnr. 358348-B21

Regards,
Laurens
6 REPLIES 6
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

How much memory does he had before installing 1GB option?

Stf ;-)
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

You must add Memory in equal pairs. The option part # 358348-B21 only contains a single memory DIMM, and you must add them 2 at a time, per the DL360 Maintenance and Service Guide.

See page 40 of this document for additional information
http://h200006.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00218204/c00218204.pdf

So the solution is to add memory DIMMs two at a time.

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Laurens van de Weg

First of all thanks for all the help.
However the information you all provided is known to me and it indeed clearly states that that banks 1A and 2A should be the same. Also that in the standard configuration only 1 GB (1 dimm !) is present and the server works, however without interleaving.
If 1 extra memory module (1GB, exactly the same !!: 368134-421) than the whole thing should work. That is exactly why two reasons for the memory not working could be:
1) the memory installed is definitely not the same ! So the option partnr. is different in "architecture" or 2) the distributor has delivered the wrong part ! or has provided "grey area market products..." That is why I wanted to know if there were any known problems. I will phone my customer and have him describe me the parts installed.
Thanks again !, Laurens
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

We were having the same problem you were decribing - server comes with 1GB - we add 1GB of the exact same memory and the server would not boot. The memory was from Crucial, not HP, but the Micron stickers showed the exact same specs, part numbers. Put in 2 sticks of Crucial memory (same everything as HP) server boots fine.

SO... since the customer wants 3 GB, we order 2 512MB to replace the HP 1GB stick. Put the 1GB sticks in slot 1A and 2A and the 512MB sticks in 3B and 4B - server doesn't like it. Swap the 512MB into 1A and 2A and the 1GB go into 3B and 4B, server likes it.

Nothing in any of the PDFs for the server talk about a memory configuration like this. If I have time I'll call HP support see if they have a better memory configuration document.

Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

You know, I think I had something like that too. I remember when I first booted the server, I had some kind of message indicating that I was running in interleaved mode for memory.

If you are in interleaved memory, the DIMMs have to be the same and added in pairs. But I went back and tried something similar (adding just one DIMM), and it wouldn't work. But I couldn't find anywhere in the docs or in the RBSU where I could change the memory interleaving setting, but I KNOW I saw it somewhere.

So if you can figure out how to set it for non-interleaved memory, it will probably work - but I'm stumped as to how to do it.

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo