108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 3000 CPU Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
David_330
Advisor

also regarding cpu upgrades, do i need to purchase the compaq cpu upgrade kits for the prolaint or can i purchase the cpu, vrm and and heat sink separately?

what i'm basically thinking is that i will get the pieces on ebay which seems a lot cheaper then purchasing a kit.

is there anything different with the kit that i can't get piece by piece?

Thanks again everyone.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The 5500 can be upgraded, but you must understand the 5500 (after the upgrade with pn 328699-001) will not be the same thing as a 3000. This machine will require Xeon procs, memory boards, VRMs and EDO memory. The existing memory may be fine, but it will require different memory boards.

There are and never have been upgrades kits to upgrade these machines to what's currently being talked about. There is an upgrade kit to upgrade the 3000 to a 5500 (pn 100675-B21), but a new server may cost less than this kit. If you put this pn into Google it'll come up with a few people still selling this.

As far the processors are concerned: the basic items in the kit can all be purchased separately, except for the misc. items, such as the installation instructions, etc.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
David_330
Advisor

thanks Terry for clarifying everything up.

it looks like i almost have everything to make this upgrade happen. all i need now is the memory board and memory.

you mentioned i might be able to use the existing memory. have you or anyone out there tried it?
Thanks again everyone.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Are we talking about the PL3000 memory? If so, then the memory from the original machine can't be used. The PII or PIII processor requires SDRAM. I would recommend getting one or more of the following:
317745-001 for 64MB
317756-001 for 128MB
317749-001 for 256MB
317748-001 for 512MB

The memory needs to be upgraded one dimm at all time (not pairs like the current 300MHZ server) up to 4GB.

When I said the existing memory may be able to be used, I meant for the PL5500.
David_330
Advisor

thanks for the additional info. Terry.

so i'll be able to use the current memory but not the memory board. are memory board also called trays?

after pricing some of this stuff out this stuff can really add up$$$

Thanks again everyone.
David_330
Advisor

hi everyone!

ok, i've my my first attempt at putting all the pieces together for upgrading my PL5500.

i just picked up a xeon PIII 500 for 50.00 with vrm on ebay. what do you think? did i pay too much?

also there is a system board for 75.00 out there. is that a good deal?

the other items i need are the memory board and heatsink. am i missing anything else? i have the memory already.

also since i will be using one processor on the sys board, do i need those terminators to colver up the cpu slots? sorry i don't know they are called exactly.
Thanks again everyone.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Yes, they're terminators and they are required. PN 329271-001.
David_330
Advisor

does the terminator need to be a compaq terminator? or can i just pick up any slot 2 terminator? sorry if that was a stupid question.

my goal to to not go over 175.00 for the complete upgrade. does anything this is possible?
Thanks again everyone.
David_330
Advisor

does the terminator need to be a compaq terminator? or can i just pick up any slot 2 terminator? sorry if that was a stupid question.

my goal to to not go over 175.00 for the complete upgrade. does anyone think this is possible?
Thanks again everyone.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I couldn't say whether other manufacturers terminators will work (possibly too tall or other factors). I do know the Compaq ones will work.