1756073 Members
3924 Online
108840 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant 5000 - Install Video Card/Mr. Church

Justin Swanson_1
Occasional Contributor

Proliant 5000 - Install Video Card/Mr. Church

Thanks everyone for you valuabel input over the last couple of days, I really appreciate everyone's help.

Back to my video problem and taking Mr. Church's advise, I have installed a video card to maximize my color output so I can ready the Auto-Update Website Compaq has generously giving us. I have also disabled the onboard default video connection. But now I can't get any further than the boot-up sequence, It'll give me the option of F1, F9 or F10 but it doesn't matter which one I choose it'll go to a blank screen with one sentace written, "PCI Bus Parity Error PCI Slot?" (that is a question mark at the end of the sentance on the screen). I have tried three different video cards (two old one's and a brand new one). I have tried every avaliable slot that was open (PCI obviously...Slot 5 is taken by the Array and Slot 2 is taken by the NIC card). It will not work at all in slot 3 through 4 (obviously since it is the PCI Secondary Bus), but 6 through 8 gives me that same error. As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank everyone for thier time and effort in our problems. This has to be one of the greatest ideas ever invented to help each other out in this world. Keep it up!!!

JTLS
3 REPLIES 3
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hi Justin,
You have certainly tried many many things to get this to work.
first is to make sure the BIOS is up to the latest. Here's the link.
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1109.html#161
Next would be to upgrade the F10 partition. Before doing this, make sure the F10 is installed on the server or it will re-partition the drives.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Darrell Hoover_1
Occasional Advisor

Mark,

Thank you for your instructions on setting up the PCI video in the Proliant 5000. I have tried to adhere to them step by step. However, when I followed those instructions, I found that when it said ISA in the F10 menu, it meant only ISA; there was no option for artificially creating a PCI slot, and it limited the location to slot 1.

My ATI PCI card is not able to be used as a secondary video adapter. I have set SW-1 to on, to disable the onboard video, having the new PCI card installed. No display (reasonably).

The fellow who, in your post, remarked that he finally solved the issue, never did tell us how he did it. I need to get further clarification on the 5000.

By the way, the F10 function did automatically configure a different PCI card I had put in the machine, though I still don't have the W2K Server drivers for it.

I need additional instruction on getting past the 256-color video. Your help will be appreciated.

Darrell
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hi Darryl,
He fixed it by trying every slot and then seeing if he had video.
The F10 partition might be a little old so that is why you might only have ISA.
These are hit and miss.

Mark
We are here for a good time, not a long time!