1748195 Members
2755 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant BIOS Updates via PowerShell

SRH-Corvel
Frequent Visitor

Proliant BIOS Updates via PowerShell

I have about a 100 Proliant Servers (Gen6, Gen7, Gen8 and Gen9) that I need to apply BIOS updates on. I have the HP PowerShell Toolkit (v1.4). I am trying to automate the BIOS update and the cmdlet 'Update-HPiLOServerFirmware' seems to be what I need. However, my problem is that I cannot figure out where to get the ROM images in '.full' or '.flash' format that the command requires.

Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advanced!

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant BIOS Updates via PowerShell

@SRH-Corvelwrote:

I have about a 100 Proliant Servers (Gen6, Gen7, Gen8 and Gen9) that I need to apply BIOS updates on. I have the HP PowerShell Toolkit (v1.4). I am trying to automate the BIOS update and the cmdlet 'Update-HPiLOServerFirmware' seems to be what I need. However, my problem is that I cannot figure out where to get the ROM images in '.full' or '.flash' format that the command requires.

Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advanced!

You will need to extract the binary image from the .exe or .rpm file. There are windows tools that will open .rpm files. I use 7-Zip

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
SRH-Corvel
Frequent Visitor

The CPXXXXXX I downloaded for the Gen 9 server had the file I was looking for, but it seems like the older Gens (6 - 8) don't use the same format. 

As an alternative, are the command line arguments to the executable (on VMware) documented anywhere?

GokulKS
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can either google for the particular platform like P89 to get the .flash image from HPE support site (https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_fdc797e3063f41678ef6bbbc3e).

Alternatively the more time consuming way is to download the SPP of a particular Generaiton. Later mount it on any OS and extract the ROM smart component from it by refering to contents.xml file which gets embedded inside the ISO file.

By the way you are using older verison of iLOCmdlets. More recent is 1.5.0.1. 

(https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/detail/pip.5440657.html)

Thanks,

Gokul

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo