ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753884 Members
7585 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant DL380 G6 and eSATA

Trudo

Proliant DL380 G6 and eSATA

I want to add eSATA port to a Proliant DL380 G6 server to be able to connect external RAID Harddrive (LaCIE 4BIG). The external hard drive have to be accessed by VMware ESXi directly. Does HP have an expansion card that do that or I have to buy one from thir party ans hope it work?
3 REPLIES 3
MaNU ESCaR

Re: Proliant DL380 G6 and eSATA

Hi,

you can find simple bracket with e-sata plug to the outside and a sata connector to plug into any free M/B sata connector; that way you don't have any compatibility problems.

Just to visualize : http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Prod_Pc-look_Double-eSATA-PCI-Bracket__11156_fr.html

Hope it helped
Alex Geroulaitis
Respected Contributor

From a quick look at DL380 G6 quickspecs, I don't believe that server has any available SATA ports. You can however use any commercially available PCIe eSATA (or SAS) adapters - as long as they are supported by your OS (VMware ESXi?)
Systems Administrator
(if my post was helpful, please "mark as a solution" or give "kudos" - thanks)
Trudo

I had a bracket like the one you talk about on an other server. It work fine. But the HP I have only one optical SATA port and it used by the DVD drive. I can disconnect the DVD and connect a bracket in this connector if it's the same connector. I can live without a DVD.