ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1757131 Members
2760 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant DL380G8 Windows Boot from SAN ( P2000G3 SAS )

GustavoAyala
Advisor

Proliant DL380G8 Windows Boot from SAN ( P2000G3 SAS )

I'm designing a windows 2008R2 2 node cluster with shared storage: 2 DL380G8 with H221 HBA SAS, and 1 P2000 G3 dual controller storage array.

To save local disks and local P-series Smart Array card, I'm planning booting directly from SAN ( SAS ) from a LUN (1 per node of course ) in the P2000G3.

Any advice about this ? I know installation will be a little more complex that with local disks, but I believe it will be easier in the long run (less maintenance with diskless nodes, less failure points)

Is it officialy supported ? Anyone have tried it and can comment ?

Thanks a lot for any feedback, good and bad recomendations about this scenario are welcome !

3 REPLIES 3
Daren Friday
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant DL380G8 Windows Boot from SAN ( P2000G3 SAS )

Why not use a cheap SSD as your system drive then just data on the iSCSI

RichardMurphy

Often wonder why so often on forums people can't just answer the question asked.

Regardless, did you ever find a solution to do this?  I am hoping to do the same, but possibly with Server 2012.

Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I haven't tried this scenario, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You will need to set the H221 as the boot controller in RBSU. 

If you're not going to use any internal drives I'm curious as to why you're looking at the DL380p and not the DL360p?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!