ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754044 Members
3022 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML330 - Smart Array 641 (drive failed)

David_1012
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML330 - Smart Array 641 (drive failed)

Hi,

I have a customer running a very old server (don't know the CPU, but it has only 64RAM and runs NT4 SP6a & Internet Explorer 2.0)

Anyway, one of two SCSI drives has failed. It's a 9.1GB model, that I replaced with a 36GB drive.
Now I would like to have the utility rebuild the array on the replaced drive, but I don't see how.

At bootup, I can press F8 to reconfigure the array, but the only option I see is to delete the logical drive, which I ofcourse can't do.
In the Windows util from Compaq back then (v2.5) I can't modify the array either.
I installed the newest version from HP (6.something) but I can't use it on the server because it requires IE 5.5. I set it to allow remote access so I can login from a client, but I can't connect from another pc to port 2381 on the server.

The old drive was at SCSI Port 0 ID 1, the new one (at the exact same location, at Port 1 ID 6. Why doesn't the controller detect a drive has been replaced and automatically rebuild on the new drive?
I updated the firmware of the controller but no luck yet.

Can anyone help me with this?

thanks,

David
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML330 - Smart Array 641 (drive failed)

David:

There are a few things youcan try. First, get yourself a copy of the GUI version of ACU...

" http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14186.html "

You may already have it installed.

Second, try adding the new drive as a hot spare.

Normally, just replacing the drive should kick off a rebuild, but if ACU finds the drive in a different location, then that could couse issues. Adding the new drive has a hot spare should kickoff the rebuild since the array is already in an interim state.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
David_1012
Occasional Contributor

Hi all

just wanted to let you know what I did to fix it.

I was/am not really experienced with SCSI drives, only IDE/SATA drives mostly. I found out on the bottom of the drive there were more jumpers and I had to set them to ID1. When I rebooted I got the message to rebuild the array and all was fine.

David
David_1012
Occasional Contributor

Hi all

just wanted to let you know what I did to fix it.

I was/am not really experienced with SCSI drives, only IDE/SATA drives mostly. I found out on the bottom of the drive there were more jumpers and I had to set them to ID1. When I rebooted I got the message to rebuild the array and all was fine.

David