1755979 Members
4693 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 and ILO NIC

Bret Fessenden

Proliant ML350 and ILO NIC

All,

Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to use the ILO NIC as a regular NIC in the ML350, so that I can have redundant NICs, or do I have to add another NIC to the server?
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Brett,

The ILO port basically provides you with remote access to a console feature embedded in a chipset on the motherboard. It's not a normal network input/output device as such so you can't use it as one.

You will have to purchase another NIC for redundancy. Be aware however that HP NIC teaming is based on a common driver for the cards to be teamed so you will need a NIC which uses the same driver as the existing one. You don't mention your ML350 model (G1, G2, G3 G4 etc,) but there are many available NIC choices I'm sure which are suitable. If you reply with your server model a suitable list can be provided.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Bret Fessenden

Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of.

The server is a HP ProLiant ML350 G5, with the NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapter.

Bret
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Bret,

The ML350 G5 model supports PCI, PCI-X and PCI Express cards.

Probably the best match is the NC373T PCI Express Multifunction Gigabit controller - Option part number is 394791-B21.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/nc373t/

Regards,

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Here are the ML350 G5 quickspecs which also confirm that the NC373T is available as an option and fully supported on this model.(See options link).

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12475_na/12475_na.html

Regards,

Brian
Bret Fessenden

Thanks again! I'll recommend we go with that part.

Bret