108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Queston about connecting BL460c g1 blades to FLEX10 VirtualConnect switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

Queston about connecting BL460c g1 blades to FLEX10 VirtualConnect switches

I am planning to install FLEX-10 dual NIC mezzanie cards BL460c g1 blades and connect them to FLEX-10 virtual connect ethernet switches. I have a couple of questions related to this topic and would appreciate your input.

1. When installing the FLEX-10 mezzanine cards, will the two integrated 1GE NIC on the BL460c g1 blades still be available to use?
2. If I recall correctly, the preferred configuration is to install a pair of Flex-10 virtual connect switches. Assuming the answer to question 1 is тАЬyesтАЭ, can I just install one VC switch and use the first two Cisco switches for my blades? The second Flex-10 NIC on each blade would not be used and the corresponding enclosure slot would be empty.
3 REPLIES 3
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Queston about connecting BL460c g1 blades to FLEX10 VirtualConnect switches

1. Yes, those NICs still map to bay 1 and 2.

2. No, If you want to use Flex mezz card, you need a VC Flex10 Module on the bay where port 1 of the mezz card maps, then you need VC Modules on bay 1 and 2 for the virtual connect manager, as of today, it can run only on bays 1 and 2. Only one Flex10 module is ok if thats what you need, but you need VC on bay 1 and 2.
Allen Huang_1
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Lmm. What about just bay 1 with VC, bay 3 with VC, nothing in Bay 2?
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

That config is no listed under supported configs, in my opinnion it should work, look at page 7 of the specs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13127_na/13127_na.PDF

NOTE: When using VC Flex-10 Modules with Flex-10 NICs on server blades, only VC Ethernet modules may be used for Ethernet connections in the same enclosure.