ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1756033 Members
3968 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID Configurations still available after replacement of smart array?

Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

RAID Configurations still available after replacement of smart array?

Hi,

Currently i've an array of 3 harddisks of 36GB of RAID 05 connecting to a smart array controller. If my controller fails and i replace the controller, will my array information still be available? Will all the information such as RAID configuration and data still be available after replacement? Any HP web link i can find information regarding this document?

Many thanks!

Leonard
3 REPLIES 3
Shameer.V.A
Respected Contributor

Hi Leonard,
In any Hardware RAID array , RAID configuration informations will be stored on both disks & controller. So if your controller fail, you can replace with the same controller.
Some higher model controller will accept the configurations from hard disks which was configured in lower model RAID controller, but driver for the purticular operating system will not be available.

But You have to check for the purticular model of RAID card which you have.. Please post the exact model of your RAID controller.

Regards,

Shameer
.... See invisible, feel intangible and achieve impossible as everything is possible ....
Leonard Thng
Frequent Advisor

Hi Shameer,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

So basically i can assume that data & RAID configuration will not be lost if i replaced the card with a same & new one?

Are there any HP documents that actually states that after switching the controller will not affect the data & the RAID configurations?? If have, mind sending me the link? Thanks!

Leonard
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

See "HP Smart Array Controllers - How Do I Determine the Migration Route for Smart Array Controllers"
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000080732098